Do I Need A Rear Sway Bar? Any Sugguestions ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raceline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When i did my belltech 2/4 drop i noticed i didnt have a rear swaybar? i think one would be nice to tighten things up as far as cornering and stability , who makes a nice one that will bolt right on? , also yea or nay to the mopar Graphics? Thanks :)

Attachments

• mopar.jpg
    mopar.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 556

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I like the red and black theme. And I say absolutely yes to the rear swaybar. Have you had your truck over 75-80mph yet? Most trucks will get a bad wobble in the rear of the truck at higher speeds with the lowering kit and no rear swaybar.

OP
OP
R

Raceline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the red and black theme. And I say absolutely yes to the rear swaybar. Have you had your truck over 75-80mph yet? Most trucks will get a bad wobble in the rear of the truck at higher speeds with the lowering kit and no rear swaybar.

I was cruising through dallas @ 80mph felt perfect and smooth , i would just like less sloppy handling in the turns , i got the belltech kit from you guys :)

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I had a lowered RC as well, and mine didn't come with rear as well, Matt hooked me up and did front and rear Hellwig, worth it!

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Hellwig or ADDCO and definitely worth the install of the rear and the upgrade on the front.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I put a rear Hellwig on my truck (it's not lowered) and it made a noticeable difference in the handling.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hellwig or ADDCO and definitely worth the install of the rear and the upgrade on the front.

I'll second this, makes a huge difference with the proper length end links too. Stiffened up my RC a lot. He'll wig front and rear for me

vcode70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When i did my belltech 2/4 drop i noticed i didnt have a rear swaybar? i think one would be nice to tighten things up as far as cornering and stability , who makes a nice one that will bolt right on? , also yea or nay to the mopar Graphics? Thanks :)

Nice truck! I'm thinking about ordering the Belltech kit myself. Are you running the stock shocks or the Belltech units? Thanks!

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
How does a rear sway bar stop a wobble after lowering? (not being a ****, actually curious)
What kind of wobble are y'all getting after dropping these trucks? The only place a wobble should come from is possibly the driveshaft when the ujoint angles change, and the sway bar wouldn't help you there. What am I missing?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
How does a rear sway bar stop a wobble after lowering? (not being a ****, actually curious)
What kind of wobble are y'all getting after dropping these trucks? The only place a wobble should come from is possibly the driveshaft when the ujoint angles change, and the sway bar wouldn't help you there. What am I missing?

Some wobble, some don't. A couple of reason are if the components were torqued down at ride height of it they were tightened then the truck was settled to ride height. Your panhard bar is preloaded if it was tightened in the air plus there's the now greater lateral travel allowance if the panhard bar wasn't leveled properly. The latter is a big one and why most kits come with the relocation bracket. If the panhard bar is perfectly level, the only movement of the axle will be towards the frame mount when the suspension is compressed, but if it's off level then the axle will travel towards the fram mount when compressed then to the opposite side from the frame mount when it unloads, then back towards it after it reaches the apex. Instead of having 1/4" of lateral travel you can now get 1/2"+ depending on how bad the angle of the is. I can't remember the length of the panhard bar off the top of my head but for a 36" bar you have 5/16" travel away from the frame mount and 11/16" towards the frame mount with a 4" drop starting point and a further 4" suspension compression. For a 48" bar it's 3/16" one way and 1/2" the other way.

The sway bar helps to an extent by tying the axle to the frame in a way that only allows/restricts to mostly up/down movement when it's not in torsion to fight body roll. It's a Band-Aid to the real problem but it can help if the angle isn't too severe.

Last edited:

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I totally agree it's a bandaid. And yes, don't ever tighten bushings unless at ride height.
Just a weird one I guess, I understand how the axle moves when you lift lower a truck with a panhard bar, I just replaced the bar in my mega with a pure performance adjustable after I leveled it.
He only thing is, the sway bar links are on ball joints, they can move side to side so the axle is independent from the frame. It only gets up/down movement. I guess that's what's tying up my brain.
If anyone has one that wobbles, I'd like to see it and play with it in my shop. Just an offer... I like problem solving. And I hate death wobble, never even thought about it in the rear of these trucks, but I guess being a 5 link anything is possible.

Dano.61

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.6
Brake Pilot, where is your shop? I have a 2014 R/T with the BellTech 2/4 drop, Hellwig Stabilizer and beefed up adjustable Pan Hard bar. I get the death wobble somewhere between 100 and 110. Would love to get this figured out...scares the girlfriend half to death!

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
I get the death wobble somewhere between 100 and 110. Would love to get this figured out...scares the girlfriend half to death!

"Doctor, I get this pain when I raise my arm like this."

"Well then, don't raise your arm like that."

:D (not serious, just playin')

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Sorry I kinda fell off the map there for a bit. As of 2 days ago my workshop is no more due to what I thought was going to be a job change that didn't happen. My garage is a mess with with all my tools thrown in it! Now I gotta go find a new place to work on everything. Hopefully where I store my boat has a good size building available...
Dano, I'm north of Houston in Conroe if you're familiar.