Rear control arms; Do I need them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 4x4 1500, Outdoorsman so about 0.7" higher from the factory. Doing either 1" or 1.5" spacer on top of my coils (haven't decided yet), as well as freedom offroad track bar, hellwig sway bar and longer sway links. Should I be looking at control arms or at what point do those become necessary? Trying to get everything done now and not have to worry about it again. Only talking about the rear here, I already have bils at 2.8 with JBA UCAs in the front. TIA

Dilligaf-23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CORE 4X4 - Adjustable Control Arm Set I put these on for my 2/4 drop so I didnt have to cut anything. they adjust to what you need and can have powder coated in several different colors. And I got with johnny joints instead so they last longer. My factory control arms were shot

OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I already have a couple options in mind from freedom offroad if I do need them. My question is firstly, do I actually need them or not.

OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At what height approximately are they recommended then?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I changed mine to eliminate the wheel hop on over acceleration events . I’ve had great success with the Clayton brand , heavy as could be . The truck drives much more planted , and no more hop. I did both uppers and lowers , used those listed for the gladiator. Did I have to change these ? No . But it did not have to have a tru-trac , gears, headers , and tune either. I’m at stock height , it was all about traction.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
they are not absolutely necessary. They are nice to have though, because they do help stiffen up the rear end and good rear control arms allow for more flex over stock. However, that extra flex is negligible as stock arms are pretty soft. The track bar being stiffer helps with the side to side in the rear for off-roading. A good lift kit relocates the control arm mounts to keep stock length so they are more a want than a need.

OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info! I was thinking about the driveshaft angle but doesn’t like that’s a concern at all.

If I do get them would fixed stock length suit my needs or would it be worthwhile getting adjustable? Is an alignment necessary after installing fixed length? I saw someone on here had just fixed lowers at some point with good results.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info! I was thinking about the driveshaft angle but doesn’t like that’s a concern at all.

If I do get them would fixed stock length suit my needs or would it be worthwhile getting adjustable? Is an alignment necessary after installing fixed length? I saw someone on here had just fixed lowers at some point with good results.
If you get fixed ones you cant do an alignment, so no, not necessary. If you are not lifting crazy high then adjustable ones are not necessary either.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I have core adjustable on my lowered RCSB and core fixed link on my stock height Laramie 4x4 quad cab.

Both really tighten up the rear. No they are not necessary but once you install, you will realize how bad stock is at any mileage

OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good to know, since I'm only around 2-2.5 inches higher total I'll probably just get the fixed length at some point then. Truck just recently passed 100k so they've seen a thing or two.
I did have a lot of sway and unsteadiness in the rear, especially maneuvering at highway speeds (through construction zones and such) with my stock suspension, hence the hellwig and track bar.
Also have 5100s for the rear on the way. Have yet to install any of it so I will see how it handles once I do and go from there.

Mekcanix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the fixed Freedom Offroad rear arms on my 16 Rebel this spring/summer and I was really surprised at how much slop was back there. The bushing were rough but I have seen worse, but it still made the truck much more tighter. I also noticed it towed a little better, but thats just my seat of the pants

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat