Lessons learned from my Mcgaughy's 2/4 Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
ok- the McGaughy's kit I installed used the 1/2" (or so) rear bump stops.
You cut off the factory ones and use the plate-type brackets they provide to install the short bump stops.
well, yesterday, I went over a railroad crossing that I did not realize how much of a bump it was, and bottomed out. HARD...
So- today I look at it and I saw where the upper torsion bars hit the frame- also the panhard bar bracket hit the frame on the driver's side and hit the brake lines there too. No damage- but you can see where it hit.
So- I figure it's time for taller bump stops.
Went to the local AutoZone and got a pair of EnergySuspension 9.9109G 2 1/8" tall 2" round bump stops.
ok- so here's where I start:
picture.php

another shot:
picture.php

cleaned off perch- note hole for excess bump stop bolt to feed through:
picture.php

McGaughy's bump stop perch with the small original one taken off and teh Energy Suspension next to it- same threads !!
picture.php

installed with less clearance between the bump stop than the frame and bar mount:
picture.php

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Looks good. Are those Energy stops progressive rate? With the taller bumpstop, you may feel more of the road if you are hitting the stop often. If they are progressive, then they are going to work out great for you as they will get tougher as you go deeper into the bumpstop. I am running a similar style stop on the front of my truck.

OP
OP
R

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
actually, they are 9.9101G
they're universal bump stops. I am not sure whether they are progressive rate or not. But they are much better than the shorties.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Usually when they are "stepped" like that, they are progressive, so it looks like you did good on this one. Looks like a cheap, easy upgrade as well.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't believe McGaughy's sent 1/2" bumpstops. You need a minimum of 1-3/4".

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
That must have been an old stock kit someone sold you. I worked with McGaughys back in September of last year or so on that bump stop issue. I supplied them with the part # that should be shipping with current kits. I worked with Spohn on recommending those stops with their link bars for lowered guys too since the contact will blow out their urethane bushings very fast. I learned that the hard way.

And yes, Matt, they are progressive. I run those same beehive style stops in the front also. It takes the hardest of bumps to feel even a hint of bottoming out.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
retiredfireman - this a valuable post for me as I am standing on the edge of a lowering kit purchase. thanks for ******* fireworks or photoshop and putting up those great pics. I can imagine the sound it made when you bottomed out over that rr or bump.

OP
OP
R

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
^ no problem, I just hope it helps someone else out.

don't understand the photoshop reference? the photos I just used Microsoft Office and Paint to edit the pics

Last edited:

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that's what I mean. Office, Photoshop, whatever. We use 'shop and Fireworks. It takes time to put in the effort. I appreciate it. There seems to be some significant differences in all these lowering kits. Some have end links, some have spindles, some have shocks, some don't. I'm getting my stitches out tomorrow and hopefully hooking up with Tyler in Daytona. He's got I think a 3/4 or 3/5 drop kit.

cbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for posting this stuff up man. I had a lowered mini truck up until a few months ago when it was totalled...now i have the itch to do something to my fullsize! Will def keep this in mind as i shop for a lowering kit!