jams up while spinning over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

therigwelder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2003 ram 1500 with 5.7l I just acquired, the PO claimed it needed a new flex plate and starter. After pulling the starter and looking at the ring gear I do not believe this to be true. We put the starter back in and got it to bump a revolution or two, but it hits a hard spot and jams up, stops spinning. I took a breaker bar and socket and turned the crankshaft, and it jams up unmovable tight, so I back off till its free again and spin the motor with the key and when it hits that jam up spot it just stops. I have repeated this back off and spin over several times and same result it hits hard and stops. what are the probable causes?

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
sounds like it may be something internal in the engine

OP
OP
T

therigwelder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes,I assumed an internal but what are the usual suspects in the 5.7? Bent valves,timing components?

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Yes,I assumed an internal but what are the usual suspects in the 5.7? Bent valves,timing components?
you didnt mention how many miles on it but it could be a sloppy timing chain which could cause the valves to hit the pistons. have you tried manually rotating the crank ?

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had a Pontiac that did that many years ago. It was the timing chain. I believe it jumped a tooth. I think valves that should have been open were in fact closed, causing the compression to lock the motor. Replaced the chain and gears and it started right up.