6" lift + Bilstein 5100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Thanks Brandon, I've been looking and can only find the stock ones though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You won't be able to search by your truck as most websites will only show you the stock ones. You'll need to go to Bilsteins website and find the part number with a shock with the correct specs (collapsed and extended lengths). Another option would be finding out the part number of the Bilsteins that Superlift ships with their 6" lifts.

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh ok that makes sense. I should be able to find that. Also for the coilovers, can I use the ones that come up in the search for my truck? Or do I have to find the ones for a 6" lift as well

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh ok that makes sense. I should be able to find that. Also for the coilovers, can I use the ones that come up in the search for my truck? Or do I have to find the ones for a 6" lift as well

For up front you would use the Bilstein 5100 adjustable shock .

BDS has Fox adjustable shocks they offer for leveling I believe . Don't quote me on that

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey R.L.K they do. They have a fox adjustable coil over that can be adjusted up to 2" but I can find just the fox upgrade kit for my beds kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
As RLK said, on the front you need just the Bilstein 5100 that do come up for your truck. You will still use the BDS strut spacer that came with your lift on top of them to keep the 6" lift. If you did want to go to a full coilover system then you'd be looking at the BDS Fox coilovers from their 6" kit.

Royals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I learned a lot from this thread.. Bookmarking it for future reference. Thanks everybody!

Josh Elliot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3 years late to this post but found it super useful!!

I'm based in the UK about to order a 6" lift kit for my 2016 RAM so need to make sure I get the parts right as shipping is almost 50% of the cost of the lift!!

I have the factory 3" rake, so was looking at the BDS 6" lift with the 5" rears, then setting the bils at 2.8.

Is this the setup that most of you guys have run at the rear?

From my calcs it should leave 0.2" rake which I'm hoping will look totally level.

Quick questions regards the rear wheel placement with the 5" rear coils. I noticed from TressPass's pics that the rear wheel looks pulled in towards the cab. Is this the effect from running the 5" coils as I want my wheel dead center.

Thanks.

20150228_112423_zpsa8rqnnk9.jpg

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Hey boys, I got the 6" BDS on my 2013 and I'm gonna do the bilsteins up front as well. My question is, has anyone done the rear as well? Was thinking of putting them into. Would they just go directly in place of were he rear shock that comes with the BDS kit or would they go inside the coil? Oh I also have the larger coils on the rear that come with the BDS kit

Do you know what coils you have in the rear? If you have 5" coils, these are the rear Bilstein's you seek:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009FU6I6G/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@JB1 recommended these shocks for my application and I have had no problems with them.

edit: oh snap... I am responding to something that was posted 3 years ago. :eek:

@Josh Elliot I'm running a 6" BDS lift with the 5" coil option in the rear on my truck with Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners. I set the Billys at 2.1" in the front without the use of the preload spacer that comes with the BDS kit. The truck has a slight rake to it, but has a nice stance, especially if you plan on throwing anything in the back of your truck. These coils are quite soft and your truck will squat with any kind of weight. I had the OE upper control arms changed out to Mevotechs as well just for the extra piece of mind.

I never noticed on the location of the rear tire after the lift. I don't think it sits off center; I'll take a look at my truck this morning and will report back if the wheel is not centered in the fender. Here's a picture of my truck that I've posted on here before to sort of give you an idea of what a 6/5 BDS would looki like with Bilsteins at 2.1".
Inked20190103_095917_HDR_LI.jpg

Last edited:

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you know what coils you have in the rear? If you have 5" coils, these are the rear Bilstein's you seek:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009FU6I6G/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@JB1 recommended these shocks for my application and I have had no problems with them.

edit: oh snap... I am responding to something that was posted 3 years ago. :eek:

@Josh Elliot I'm running a 6" BDS lift with the 5" coil option in the rear on my truck with Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners. I set the Billys at 2.1" in the front without the use of the preload spacer that comes with the BDS kit. The truck has a slight rake to it, but has a nice stance, especially if you plan on throwing anything in the back of your truck. These coils are quite soft and your truck will squat with any kind of weight. I had the OE upper control arms changed out to Mevotechs as well just for the extra piece of mind.

I never noticed on the location of the rear tire after the lift. I don't think it sits off center; I'll take a look at my truck this morning and will report back if the wheel is not centered in the fender. Here's a picture of my truck that I've posted on here before to sort of give you an idea of what a 6/5 BDS would looki like with Bilsteins at 2.1".
View attachment 161572

Yeah I have the 5” coils but I’ve change my mind and I’m going with a set of Fox Rear resi Shocks. Little bit more spendy but I can rebuild them if they ever blow apart.