Bilstein 5100 Install Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay so I just installed the 5100's on my truck, took about 5 hours to do myself, and I came across a few things I thought I would share anybody thinking about doing this themselves also.

1. Make sure you have these sizes in deep socket: 15mm, 16mm, 21mm, and 24mm.

2. When you take off the brake caliper, DON'T take off the brake line. Use a ratchet strap or velco strap and strap it to your frame in the wheel well.

3. When you are trying to get the upper control arm, back into the wheel hub assembly thing (the name of this part has slipped my mind), take 2 strong ratchet straps, put them around the upper, and lower control arms, and ratchet them together until you can get the nut onto the ball joint of the upper control arm. Doing it this way is a lot safer than lifting the whole lower control arm assembly with a jack while your truck is sitting on jack stands.
( I was proud of myself that i thought of doing this :) )

4. Be 100% sure you have all of the torques right. Too little torque may let something come loose and too much torque might cause fast wearing of bushings and other parts. Being 5lbs over spec is a good safety but no more than that.

Here is a link to a forum post with all the torque specs:
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=170378#/topics/170378?page=1

Any input from you guys is also welcome here

Just thought I'd share some things I came across even though a lot of people wont take advise from a 16 year old

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good idea about the straps. I'm most likely installing bils at 2.1 next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good idea about the straps. I'm most likely installing bils at 2.1 next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did mine at 2.8 and the front is a little higher than the back. It is noticable but not too bad. I kinda like it

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Laddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
I just did mine at 2.8 today, and the only thing I can say to make things easier for yourself is to spray every nut and bolt with penetrating oil (PB Blaster, WD40 etc.) before starting. Made a world of difference.