Bilstein Lifting Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sgrab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys I recently lifted my 1500 with the bilsteins set at 2.8. Over the past couple days I've been hearing this weird noise coming from the driver side wheel well. Today I finally got a chance to get under and take a look. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3687.jpg
    IMG_3687.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_3686.jpg
    IMG_3686.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_3692.jpg
    IMG_3692.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_3685.jpg
    IMG_3685.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 190

2015sxthemieric

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 sxt k n intake chip and mbrp exghaust
Engine
5.7 hemi
don't have much to tell you but I know everyone recommends the 2.1 setting.

looks like the 2.8 offset your angles enough to rub.

still doesn't look right that small difference shouldn't cause that

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
I'm having the same issue I have a 4" zone lift with bils on the front and I'm having the same clunk when I turn or takes bumps it's where the lower control arm is catching the stopper on the tire. I had the shop shave the stopper but it still rubs, but now it's flat and will rub on full rotation to either side still. It gets frustrating. Wonder if any one knows how to stop it.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
From what I'm seeing on your CV boot the angle of your shafts looks far too steep which leads me to believe that your Bilsteins weren't installed correctly. Post up a picture of the Bilstein so we can see how it was assembled. It's possible that your lower spring seat is on upside down.

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
Here's a pick of mine 5f807c0e228d13735a8c601f60402a61.jpg1eb46e06d3f3317e282d721c2f4300f2.jpg33df7ce6356c2b6a1da0a61df0d67071.jpg
88ce882da5633598babeae6faeea6d5a.jpg

First 2 driver side last 2 passenger side

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When do you hear the noise? Does the noise you hear happen when the steering wheel is turned all the way left or right or close to it? When you drive in a straight line and hit a bump?

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
When do you hear the noise? Does the noise you hear happen when the steering wheel is turned all the way left or right or close to it? When you drive in a straight line and hit a bump?

Well where I live it's all country so there's lots of pot holes as I have the wheel fully turned right or left all the way if I hit a bump it sounds like metal on metal clunking. As you can see from the picture. As well when it's kinda close to it, it feels really flimsy I guess because I can feel all the movement on the steering wheel from the rubbing And sometimes on a really bumpy road it will clunk as well going straight and I hear a very slight squeak. But I heard that is from a washer being on the wrong side of the bilstein.

OP
OP
S

Sgrab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Here's a couple from my truck. I think the CV angle looked steep because I had the truck in the air.

Attachments

• IMG_3699.jpg
    IMG_3699.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_3700.jpg
    IMG_3700.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3697.jpg
    IMG_3697.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3695.jpg
    IMG_3695.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 127

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
Here's a couple from my truck. I think the CV angle looked steep because I had the truck in the air.

My upper control arms arn't at a steep angle like yours mine are leveled like flat at all times. You might have ball joint issues later on because of that.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My question was for the person who started the thread. I was trying to find out if the noise he is hearing is because of him hitting the turn stop (metal on metal) or something else.
If thats all it is, then you're fine. Nothing to worry about. If the noise you hear happens when the wheel is not turned all the way left or right, then there is something to worry about.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Both of yours look to be installed correctly. If you're getting noises driving in straight lines the next thing to check is the location of the washer that came with the Bilsteins. It's meant to be installed on the shaft BEFORE the upper spring seat/hardware. Not right below the nut on top of the upper hardware. It's very common to get a clunking sound if that is not installed correctly.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Both of yours look to be installed correctly. If you're getting noises driving in straight lines the next thing to check is the location of the washer that came with the Bilsteins. It's meant to be installed on the shaft BEFORE the upper spring seat/hardware. Not right below the nut on top of the upper hardware. It's very common to get a clunking sound if that is not installed correctly.

What about that rubbing between the lower arm and spindle stop Brandon, is that normal or caused by the washer being in the wrong place on install???

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about that rubbing between the lower arm and spindle stop Brandon, is that normal or caused by the washer being in the wrong place on install???

That's pretty normal. The point of the steering stop is exactly that, to stop the steering from going further so there is going to be rubbing. I would suggest not turning that sharp when going over bumps to avoid that issue. It's always better to be slightly off full lock when turning as it's easier on the entire steering system.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's pretty normal. The point of the steering stop is exactly that, to stop the steering from going further so there is going to be rubbing. I would suggest not turning that sharp when going over bumps to avoid that issue. It's always better to be slightly off full lock when turning as it's easier on the entire steering system.

I'm assuming that it is due to the Bilsteins allowing more up travel then the OEM factory setup per the diagram you have in your "lifting/leveling" thread. I've only heard mine make that sound once and I do have slight rubbing marks in the same spot the OP shows in his pictures.

Guess it's something you have to live with when you have an awesome leveled truck.... hahaha!!!

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm assuming that it is due to the Bilsteins allowing more up travel then the OEM factory setup per the diagram you have in your "lifting/leveling" thread. I've only heard mine make that sound once and I do have slight rubbing marks in the same spot the OP shows in his pictures.

Guess it's something you have to live with when you have an awesome leveled truck.... hahaha!!!

It's because of the difference in suspension geometry. At ride height on a leveled truck the A-arms are at a steeper angle. This causes the contact point on the steering knuckle to change because of this different angle. Not really a big concern. Just something that a few guys do notice and question.