Blistein 5100 Front and Rear (2013 Ram 1500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paulp1002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was interested in replacing the suspension with Blistein 5100's all around. When I called the local 4 Wheel parts store the guy told me that with my model\year there has been known issues with the ball joints popping out. He said to have it done properly it would cost about $1500 or I could go with a 4" or 6" lift. Right now I'm not interested in lifting, I just want to level it out.

Has anyone heard of this issue with 2013 Ram 1500's?

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
There have been some cases with 2013s and 2014s popping balljoints from leveling kits and adjustable shocks. Just so you know, to level out the truck, all you need is bilsteins in the front, not in the rear. Surely you could do it if you were looking to increase ride quality, but swapping the rear with won't change much if anything in terms of ride height.

Not a huge percentage of those running some sort of level in the 2013+ models have reported issues, but you can swap out the UCAs to correct this potential issue should you be worried about it. Mevotech and Zone Offroad both make UCAs which allow for a wider angle of rotation. There's a pretty significant difference in price (~$100 vs ~$500).

Are you wanting to stick with the stock tire size or move up to something bigger?

EDIT: Sorry, I should say that adding bilsteins in the rear won't get you anything closer to level unless it somehow decreases height in the back.

EDIT 2: Just noticed this is your first post. Welcome! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Paulp1002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the reply, Revo. Right now, I probably going to just stick with stock wheel size. I was wondering about the leveling with Blisteins. I know the front can go up to 2.75" and the back 1". In your opinion do you think it is worth the risk, so should I just wait and eventually go with a full suspension lift?

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the reply, Revo. Right now, I probably going to just stick with stock wheel size. I was wondering about the leveling with Blisteins. I know the front can go up to 2.75" and the back 1". In your opinion do you think it is worth the risk, so should I just wait and eventually go with a full suspension lift?
Just to be clear the backs dont go up 1", they simply allow for 1" extra lift, a spring spacer is required to get the lift if you want it in the back

14_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed Bilstein at 2.1 on my 14 Ram, only have about 500 KM on it and so far so good! I choosed 2.1 because there seems the be no issues at 2.1, most of the issues seem to have been with the 2.8 configuration. Also at 2.1 it almost leveled my truck, with a small rake of 3/4 of an inch. That's pretty much how I wanted it... I'm also sticking with stock wheels/tires...

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I would base your decision based off whether or not you think you may want a lift somewhere down the road. You may find yourself bored with a level after a few months. I got bored of my 2.5" level/35s after a couple of weeks. To me, I don't think it was worth the $500 I spent on the kit/install aside from clearing 35s. I'm now 2 weeks into the lift setup in my signature and couldn't be happier. Everyone is different though. You could always go with Bilsteins in the front, and keep them to maintain level if you decide to go with a lift later on. The rear shocks would have to be replaced with longer ones if you go with a suspension lift though, so it may not be worth touching the rear right now.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn't hurt to start with a level, the build up from there.

For the model year 13+, I would set it to the second highest setting (2.1"). I have heard here that any higher, and you might run into issues.

FYI: these Bilstein shocks will make your ride a little more stiffer. On my 2012, I had the car like ride before the shock upgrade, and now after the upgrade, it is stiffer, more truck like.

Truck name: Rampage
2012 Dodge ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn 4x4
*Bilstein 2.8" front
*Bilstein shocks on rear with 1" spacer
*Pioneer AVH 4300DVD head unit
*Polk Audio Dxi350 dash speakers
*Kicker 40CSS654 6 1/2" door speakers (x4)
*fox box 2-12" speakers holder for rear seats
*2-12" alpine subs (swe -1243l
*500 watt alpine mono sub
*LED 3rd tail light smoked
*Spyder LED smokes tail lights
havent even started on the engine..lol

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
You shouldn't have any issues with ball joints popping with Bilstein 5100's. The ball joint popping is more prone with spacer type leveling kits as they allow the front suspension to overextend which is where the ball joint will pop out. The Bilstein 5100's keep the front suspension travel within OEM specs and therefore shouldn't give you any issues. I'd go ahead with them and not look back.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You shouldn't have any issues with ball joints popping with Bilstein 5100's. The ball joint popping is more prone with spacer type leveling kits as they allow the front suspension to overextend which is where the ball joint will pop out. The Bilstein 5100's keep the front suspension travel within OEM specs and therefore shouldn't give you any issues. I'd go ahead with them and not look back.
I agree the Bilstein 5100 is the shock that Ram uses in there OEM lift. I think they are fine.I have had no problems with mine at all.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would base your decision based off whether or not you think you may want a lift somewhere down the road. You may find yourself bored with a level after a few months. I got bored of my 2.5" level/35s after a couple of weeks. To me, I don't think it was worth the $500 I spent on the kit/install aside from clearing 35s. I'm now 2 weeks into the lift setup in my signature and couldn't be happier. Everyone is different though. You could always go with Bilsteins in the front, and keep them to maintain level if you decide to go with a lift later on. The rear shocks would have to be replaced with longer ones if you go with a suspension lift though, so it may not be worth touching the rear right now.
My plan exactly , bills now with nothing to the rear and a 6" BDS lift later with new UCA'S

yount79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
^^^ what he said.

My 2013 is at 2.8 in. My BJ will never ever pop out. Period. Have no fear sir
Check out my thread on this subject.
http://www.ramforum.com/f40/just_installed_bilsteins_2_8in_they_rock-66015/

Last edited:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Lots of guys run them at 2.1 and never have issues. I'd just do the front and be dine with it! Much cheaper too!

OP
OP
P

Paulp1002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the replies. I called to order the Bilstein 5100s and they were out of stock, until mid summer. They said that he could sell me "Pro Comp - 2 Front Pro Runner Adjustable Shocks and 2 Rear Pro Runner Monotube Shocks" for the same price. Apparently they are adjustable up to 2.5". Has anyone had any experience with these?

darendeath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
All sold out/ back order. I have had my truck a week, but still can't wait to get this set up. I was looking on eBay too but would rather get from a reliable source. I was offered the same option on the pro-comp, but they cost more??
I think I'll keep waiting.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I think the pro comps are loaded that's why they are more expensive(I beleive) the pro comps don't allow adjustability like the bills. It seems like most guys are running the 5100's and I'm sure there is a reason for it I would stay on the waiting list. Have yall checked other vendors? I know moes performance sells them I have no clue if they are in stock you can always check. I don't have them yet but 5100's are on my list.

Numnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put the Blistein 5100 Fronts on at 2.1.
For ***** and giggles the first thing I did was to engage 4 wheel drive. Had a hard time getting it out of 4 wheel the first time but since it's been fine.
Not sure if I can post this not being a site vendor, but I got mine last week from Jackit. They had them in stock.

Attachments

• 20150605_175743.jpg
    20150605_175743.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 986