Help choosing a kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haetr001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm trying to find a 4" suspension lift kit for my truck (2014 1500 Laramie), and all the kits I'm finding show basically two of everything (coils, shocks, mounts, etc). This is confusing me, because I'm thinking there should be 4 of each (one set of pretty much everything for each tire). I've never done a lift, so I don't know much about them... but shouldn't there be more than just a coil spacer for the back end?

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
You're seeing 2 of everything because the front lift is completed by drop brackets and use the stock coils and such up front (this is because of the independent front suspension). Since it is a solid rear axle, the way of lifting is more "conventional" if you will.

This may be clear as mud. I'm hoping someone else will chime in to clear it up a bit for you, but I'm pretty sure those are the basics there.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^^^^^ what he said. Unless you are replacing the stock coil/strut assembly with new coilovers, you won't see but 2 springs IF the kit dosent use a rear spacer. Some kits may actually show NO springs at all..........

Typically for the front, a spacer will bolt on top of the stock strut assembly to compensate for the lift provided by the drop brackets.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You can definitely trust that Zone and BDS have put all the right stuff into their kits . . . All you have to do is pick the amount of rear lift you want, and pick a set of rear shocks . . . I'd recommend the 3" springs, and the gas shock upgrade

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
A lot of it depends on what you plan on doing with your truck as well.

OP
OP
Haetr001

Haetr001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks for the help guys

A lot of it depends on what you plan on doing with your truck as well.

im planning on throwing an ironcross bumper on the front and rear, with a winch. they look too beefy with the stock suspension, imo, which is why im doing the lift. not sure if im getting bigger rubber later or not (currently running 265/60R20s), but thats pretty much it for now. ive got a lot of performance stuff im pricing out, though (tuner, muffler delete, TB, etc, etc)

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
thanks for the help guys

im planning on throwing an ironcross bumper on the front and rear, with a winch. they look too beefy with the stock suspension, imo, which is why im doing the lift. not sure if im getting bigger rubber later or not (currently running 265/60R20s), but thats pretty much it for now. ive got a lot of performance stuff im pricing out, though (tuner, muffler delete, TB, etc, etc)

Okay then. If you're wanting to do that, steer clear of a body lift then. This will cause issues with mounting the new bumpers. If you're not planning on throwing 37's or bigger on, a 4" lift will be all you'll need.

bamablack11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I went zone 4/2.. Handles better than stock as in I feel like it's more responsive steering wise.. And rides a lil more rough but still has a pretty dang good ride for a lifted truck

OP
OP
Haetr001

Haetr001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay then. If you're wanting to do that, steer clear of a body lift then. This will cause issues with mounting the new bumpers. If you're not planning on throwing 37's or bigger on, a 4" lift will be all you'll need.
Yea, I wasn't even considering a body lift... they look silly, in my opinion. I want the extra clearance that a suspension lift gives.
And for the size, I don't think I'll be going much over 4" ever... possibly a 4.5", but i think a half-ton with a 6" lift is ridiculous lol
If I want a BIG truck, I'll probably go out and buy a 2500 or 3500 and make it BIG.
I went zone 4/2.. Handles better than stock as in I feel like it's more responsive steering wise.. And rides a lil more rough but still has a pretty dang good ride for a lifted truck
Do you have any pictures of it?
And I don't know how I feel about leveling it... I love the aggressive look it has with the rake.
Plus, I sometimes load my quad into the box (with the tailgate down), and it already squats so much... pretty sure leveling it would just exacerbate it. I do have a trailer for it, but it hardly pays to load the quad into the trailer if I'm just going half an hour away with it. And since I drive a fair bit on gravel, having the back end squatting with the tailgate down might end with a bit of rock damage on it.
But if you're saying it'll be more responsive, then I might just look at doing that, and then use my trailer more often.

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
In that case, 4'' or even a level (maybe both) will work well for you. The big ones people use on the forum here are zone/bds and rough country. Just gotta find what fits your needs and budget

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just use the 3" spring option that Zone or BDS offer, and you'll still have the rake you want

bamablack11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yea, I wasn't even considering a body lift... they look silly, in my opinion. I want the extra clearance that a suspension lift gives.
And for the size, I don't think I'll be going much over 4" ever... possibly a 4.5", but i think a half-ton with a 6" lift is ridiculous lol
If I want a BIG truck, I'll probably go out and buy a 2500 or 3500 and make it BIG.

Do you have any pictures of it?
And I don't know how I feel about leveling it... I love the aggressive look it has with the rake.
Plus, I sometimes load my quad into the box (with the tailgate down), and it already squats so much... pretty sure leveling it would just exacerbate it. I do have a trailer for it, but it hardly pays to load the quad into the trailer if I'm just going half an hour away with it. And since I drive a fair bit on gravel, having the back end squatting with the tailgate down might end with a bit of rock damage on it.
But if you're saying it'll be more responsive, then I might just look at doing that, and then use my trailer more often.
7c1d158ea610f9ef5051e73d24d416dd.jpg

That's the 4/2 on pretty level ground.. With 35" Cooper ST Maxx tires...

bamablack11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's more responsive because the tires more than the lift I think.. Instead of full on power steering it feels more like a rack and pinion setup.. I like it better.. Doesn't turn as sharp on the 180s though.. That's for sure...