Performance based clearance needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oddity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are the best options out there to get more body clearance out of the truck without sacrificing performance? My truck has been getting into some tight spots, barely clearing rocks on the sideskirts or kissing crossditches with the rear bumper. I know lift kits are the popular option but I've heard over and over again that they cause more harm than good.

Currently running Bilsteins @2.8" in the front, 1.5" taller coils and Fox 2.0 struts in the back, on 35's. Ideally I would like to upgrade the shocks front and back with better, beefier fox or king struts, but I don't think that will get me any more clearance.

Recommendations?

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I've got a 1.5" Zone body lift on both of mine. They're cheap and pretty easy to install in a few hours.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From my days of wheeling (rock climbing with a wrangler):

It is better to couple a body lift with a suspension lift. So if you need a total of 4", it is better to do a 3" suspension lift and a 1" body lift. The reason is, a body lift does not raise the center of gravity as much as the equivalent suspension lift (roll over concerns).

For wheeling rocks, you want as big of a tire as possible, with as little lift as possible. up-travel is overrated, down-travel is what you want. You only need as much up-travel as you can for street driving (so you don't bottom out, i.e. hit the bumpstops going over bumps).

With the long wheel base of these trucks (vs a wrangler), you do have to lift higher to minimize getting high centered. But, do as little as possible.

OP
OP
Oddity

Oddity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My issue is that the rails and the tail end are constantly eating dirt, as my neck of the woods are tighter jeep trails with hefty cross ditches and rock slides that have trails built through. Not intending to wheel rocks for ***** and giggles, only when it's in my way.

I was thinking a 6" BDS lift ($300 more than 4") with tuned fox/king coilovers. Would the 6" lift throw off the center of gravity enough to be a concern hurling down logging roads?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go with the 6" - you will be happy - last truck I had had a 6" lift on a half ton and I drove it like it was a trophy truck- truck tracked fine and rolling it was never a concern