AMP Research Powersteps and snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lubepimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I'm really leaning towards getting some AMP Research powersteps, love the way they tuck away for looks and clearance, plus it looks like they are actually lower to the ground than the Ram tubular steps I currently have installed. The only holdback (other than hiding the bill from the wife) is if they will hold up through Ontario winters? I spend a lot of time running up north with my sleds in tow and know how much slush and salt gets gathered up on my current steps...anybody with these steps run in these conditions and have opinions on how the steps hold up?

Madcap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have them and do seem to get snow several days during the winter and so far they are holding up pretty good!

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just a thought, they are tucked up out of the way when you are driving so there's no chance for mud/snow to get into anywhere they would jam up..

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
but the frozen slush that gets on the body would potentially cause it to block up.

I would imagine you would have to turn them off when this happens and go without steps

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have them on my truck for over a year now. Awesome product. I get them dirty all the time and they do well. Just pressure wash. However, I sm not familiar with snow as I live in southern CA. But hey, pressure wash that salt and **** off. Garage park so the water won't freeze.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
The Ford platinums have that kind of step stock. I have to imagine they wouldn't have kept them on for the past 4 or so years if they had issues in the winter.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm in the same boat, I really, really want a set...but like you am worried about snow/ice in winter. If I can EVER see one here I will track down owner to ask..l:)

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I can tell you from messing with my brother's that the motor on these is strong and the deployment and retraction is forceful (like a door slamming).

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Those are bad ass but costly.

OP
OP
L

lubepimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I have them on my truck for over a year now. Awesome product. I get them dirty all the time and they do well. Just pressure wash. However, I sm not familiar with snow as I live in southern CA. But hey, pressure wash that salt and **** off. Garage park so the water won't freeze.

Ha ha, garage park, I wish!

I've actually e-mailed AMP research to get their thoughts on it....I'm sure they will say it's fine but am curious to how they say it.

I also imagine that after driving, the slush should get knocked off as soon as you open the door so it doesn't get a chance to freeze?

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just a thought, they are tucked up out of the way when you are driving so there's no chance for mud/snow to get into anywhere they would jam up..

Do what? The bottom of the truck stays clean in the mud or snow?

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Normal everyday use...I'd say go gettem. You'll get years out of them.

If you foresee yourself buried in snow/mud up to your doors ya probably wanna go with regular steps.

OP
OP
L

lubepimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I love my AMP Research Power Steps... I'm thinking they'll be just fine in the snow / slush... I'll find out soon enough

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine are going strong for 2+ years now and have seen lots of snow and frost. Initially I had the same concerns, so here's the reply I received from George over at Amp.

"If the linkages have never been power washed then I would do this. Open the door and step on the board with one foot and apply pressure to the board while at the same time close the door. This will keep the steps down with the doors closed. Now cover the motor and gear box with a plastic grocery bag to keep the high pressure water from getting in as these are not submersible motors. Next, power wash the linkages concentrating on the sides of the linkages where the pins enter the bushings. Once you have cleaned them well if you have compressed air blow them out otherwise let them air dry and concentrating on the area where the pins enter the bushings, lube them well with Silicone spray lube only, no grease, oil or WD-40 as they will attract more dirt and debris. Also spray the entire outside of the linkages making sure to not spray the boards as Silicone is very slippery. For where you live this is the ticket. At least once a season you will need to do this due to the salt, sand and chemicals used on the roads builds up over time in the bushings and tightens the linkages. And because the system uses amp draw to shut itself off, if the linkages become tight the system will stop short of full retraction. If this does not cure the problem then give me a call and we can go over the issue in detail"

Gotta say, works like a charm. The couple of times that they wouldn't lower was due allowing a crazy amount of slush to freeze between the steps and body. Which is why I never leave home without a rubber mallet, lol.

OP
OP
L

lubepimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Mine are going strong for 2+ years now and have seen lots of snow and frost. Initially I had the same concerns, so here's the reply I received from George over at Amp.

"If the linkages have never been power washed then I would do this. Open the door and step on the board with one foot and apply pressure to the board while at the same time close the door. This will keep the steps down with the doors closed. Now cover the motor and gear box with a plastic grocery bag to keep the high pressure water from getting in as these are not submersible motors. Next, power wash the linkages concentrating on the sides of the linkages where the pins enter the bushings. Once you have cleaned them well if you have compressed air blow them out otherwise let them air dry and concentrating on the area where the pins enter the bushings, lube them well with Silicone spray lube only, no grease, oil or WD-40 as they will attract more dirt and debris. Also spray the entire outside of the linkages making sure to not spray the boards as Silicone is very slippery. For where you live this is the ticket. At least once a season you will need to do this due to the salt, sand and chemicals used on the roads builds up over time in the bushings and tightens the linkages. And because the system uses amp draw to shut itself off, if the linkages become tight the system will stop short of full retraction. If this does not cure the problem then give me a call and we can go over the issue in detail"

Gotta say, works like a charm. The couple of times that they wouldn't lower was due allowing a crazy amount of slush to freeze between the steps and body. Which is why I never leave home without a rubber mallet, lol.

Well if it works for you out on the rock I can't see myself having issues here...thanks for the info!

OP
OP
L

lubepimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
If that's as bad as it will get.....you'll be fine with the amps.

Not the greatest picture, that was the morning after the dig, passenger side (also known as the wife's lookout side) was halfway up the door....truck wouldn't go anywhere and the trailer was jack-knifed across the driveway and a serious ***** to get un-hooked in that position....a fine end to a good day of sledding lol.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Do what? The bottom of the truck stays clean in the mud or snow?

Of course not, but whatever gets kicked up and sticks to the bottom the truck would be "outside" the retracted step, not between the step and the body. Unless there was enough slush that froze solid enough to keep the step from extending, it wouldn't be a problem. If it was, don't think it would be nany different than kicking loose the ice and slush that gathers in my running boards/wheel wells anyway. I can't see mud being an issue for these at all.