Anyone got a GatorTrax MX Electric?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've looked at a boatload of tonneau covers since buying my truck. Not really interested in soft or folding types. I want solid, sturdy, retractable, electric, secure, and matte finish. This is the only one I found that ticks all the boxes for me. They sure are proud of it though. But cheap compared to some of the mods I've done. I don't mind giving up a bit of bed space for the canister. It'll still carry more and larger things than my Jeep. ;) So does anyone have one? How do you like it?

Thanks!

wink

https://tonneaucoversworld.com/shop...tortrax-mx-electric-tonneau-cover-g90232.html

gonecampingnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I opted for Truxedo. Wanted full bed if needed but covered most of time. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
$2500.00 for a tonneau cover is your cheapest mod lol, I of course would love to know what all has been done to this truck. [emoji41]

F.O.F

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
$2500.00 for a tonneau cover is your cheapest mod lol, I of course would love to know what all has been done to this truck. [emoji41]

F.O.F

Not the Ram. Sorry. But I'm sure I'll go a little crazy with it in time. I have the blower I took off the Jeep, but I'd want a built engine if I go that route. I was talking about my Jeep. I'll probably have around $100k+ in mods and labor alone by the time the current build is finished. But it's gonna be even more of a monster... So by comparison, in my demented mind, the tonneau is cheap. LOL!

wink

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Omg, can I adopt you as NONE of my children understand my passion for vehicles lol. Not to this subject, but do you have a build log link for the Jeep ?

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Omg, can I adopt you as NONE of my children understand my passion for vehicles lol. Not to this subject, but do you have a build log link for the Jeep ?

Hell I've been trying to get Bill Gates to adopt me. LOL! Most people that know me think I'm a little crazy. Truth is I'm full tilt bozo crazy. ;) But I think it's the same with any hobby you have a passion for. They cost a lot of moola. Had a SeaDoo I had maybe $15k into. Even had a nitrous setup. Nothing in S. Texas could beat it for the 3 years I was into it. What can I say? I like to go fast...

Click on my sig link Wink's Hobby. It has pretty much all the info for the last and current build. But I'm happy to answer any questions.

wink

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sorry spellcheck on my iPad is messing with me lol..

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got my cover in and put the rails on. Tomorrow when my help arrives we can lift it onto the bed.

wink

GatorMX01.jpg

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow that's nice, look forward to seeing it

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
wow that's nice, look forward to seeing it

Thanks man! I'll get some pictures of it installed, and maybe a video of its operation. Nice thing is I won't have to drill any holes!

wink

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just finished the install. Please ignore the filth. It started raining when I was assembling it and I haven't cleaned it up yet. Also I haven't finished the wiring yet. That's next. Just wanted to see it on the truck and the open/close action. In the video I stop short about a foot because the seals have to break in before it'll go all the way on its own. They said about 48 hours, but guess it depends on how many times you do the open/close cycle. Also one of the pics shows the light it comes with, and the Rams rear corner lights on. Hard to tell in the pic, but it lights things up pretty good. Instructions were somewhat useless, but it was pretty easy to figure out. It's definitely sturdy, and no way anyone is getting into it!

Next project, Whipple. ;)

wink

Open/Close Video

GatorMX02.jpg

GatorMX03.jpg

GatorMX04.jpg

GatorMX05.jpg

GatorMX06.jpg

GatorMX07.jpg

GatorMX08.jpg

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is this the same company as RETRAX?

I'm considering a RETRAX PRO MX. Although the rails do look like they are about a half inch above the bed the canister is the lowest profile I've seen. I also like that there isn't anything you have to put on the tailgate. I don't need powered and I like that with the RETRAX you can lock the cover open in any position.

ndcart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sorry, but did you say you had a blower for your Jeep? NICE! ;)

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is this the same company as RETRAX?

I'm considering a RETRAX PRO MX. Although the rails do look like they are about a half inch above the bed the canister is the lowest profile I've seen. I also like that there isn't anything you have to put on the tailgate. I don't need powered and I like that with the RETRAX you can lock the cover open in any position.

See response to your PM. But yes, I believe they are the same company.

wink

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sorry, but did you say you had a blower for your Jeep? NICE! ;)

Thanks! Yes I've had two Vortechs and been extremely happy with them. Spun both of them way over the Vortech CYA limit and no issues. My V-3 is on my tech's dad's Impala SS now and still works like the day I bought it. The only problem is you get used to the power level, so I upgraded to a V-2 Ti unit and was making around 850 RWHP. But that too eventually got old, so it's in the shop again for possibly the last upgrade, though they do make a bigger unit. ;) Went with a V-21 XB110. However I decided to hell with belts and went with a gear-driven unit. We're shooting for 1600-1800 RWHP. Can't wait to get it back so I can go fast again!

If you click on the link in my sig there's plenty of pass videos, pics, and mod info on both the previous build (Flying Pig), and the new Pigzilla build.

wink

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After installing the cover I wanted to test it for watertightness. Took it to the carwash and got the pressurized spray on all sides, top, and bottom. The cover is watertight, but the tailgate wasn't. A problem with the Ram, not the cover. The inside surface of the tailgate got wet, as did about 3" of the bed. The rest of the bed was bone dry.

I ordered a Truxedo tailgate seal to solve that, but the instructions were quite vague. It said it should be flush with the bed, but didn't mention the sides. So I made them flush too. After installing it I climbed inside and shined my trouble light around the seams. The bottom was completely sealed, though the little plastic cover the tailgate harness runs through was in the way. Still sealed, but looks less than stellar. The sides however showed several points of light. Mostly around the cutouts for the latches. So I ordered another seal and am going to redo the sides this weekend, and overlap the bed edge this time. Also going to take off the rubber stops and put the seal under them, then put them back on. Should've done that the first time.

That said, it has seen rain a few times and even the tailgate was dry. Though the carwash pressure would likely let a little in.

wink

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990