Balancing bigger wheels/tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I'm running 275/65R20 Goodyear Duratracs on factory wheels. They were just installed 1k miles ago and I've got a shimmy above 60mph. The shop that installed them told me that they had to use 11oz of weight on one of the wheels to get it to balance but said they all balanced.

I used a set of Centramatic dynamic wheel balances on my Jeep with a set of pretty badly cupped MTRs and they worked well. Unfortunately Centramatic says they won't work on newer trucks due to the location of the brakes (post 1995).

Is anyone using other means for balancing larger tires? I've read about airsoft BBs, regular BBs and antifreeze. Just not sure which would be the best option to try. I prefer to not break the tires off of the wheels if possible.

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I ran airsoft bbs in all my big nasty interco Jeep tires (35s and 37s). I found absolutely no downside to doing so even at highway speeds. The only minute thing that may not be for everyone is the faint noise they make coming to a stop. They sound kind of like cascading water or waves but its not overly loud and can mostly only be heard with the windows open.