BedRug and BakFlip Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This morning I installed the BedRug and BakFlip VP for my 1500 Express.

Had a BedRug in my last truck and knew I had to go that way on this one. Also had a folding hard cover, but it was one that didn't fold all the way like the BakFlip VP. Some of the side rubber on the cover still needs to relax some from being all packed up, but from all I have read, if the sun doesn't take care of it a few minutes of heating with a hair dryer will do it.

Installation was without drama and with me taking my time both mods was just over 3 hours.

2014Ram-BedRugandBakFlip001_zps5d79c5bd.jpg 2014Ram-BedRugandBakFlip004_zpscbd2bca6.jpg 2014Ram-BedRugandBakFlip005_zps6d61d4b9.jpg 2014Ram-BedRugandBakFlip006_zps673a0415.jpg 2014Ram-BedRugandBakFlip008_zps41d16584.jpg 2014Ram-BedRugandBakFlip010_zps74fb87e0.jpg

Last edited:

Mugster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks great! That's the tonneau cover I'm thinking of getting. A little pricey but it looks great and keeps the box more secure than a soft cover.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This looks great! I am very much thinking about the same combo.

Do tell, is there anything other than gravity and velco that holds the bedrug in?

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good combo. I actually have the bedtred and bakflip combo. Liked the look of the carpet, but wanted more of a spray in bed liner look as well.

OP
OP
ExpressRules

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This looks great! I am very much thinking about the same combo.

Do tell, is there anything other than gravity and velco that holds the bedrug in?

The Velcro holds everything very securely. Once in place it is not going to move and it actually takes a strong pull to get the Velcro apart. I had one in my Dakota for 5 years and never had an attachment point come loose. Over the time I had the BedRug in the Dakota it carried everything from mulch, lumber, furniture, and paving stone and still looked great when I traded t truck in.

I think the BakFlip VP looks great on the truck and while the install instructions were very lacking it was pretty obvious how the rails attached and a easy install.

aIIan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2O14
Engine
Very nice, I'm still waiting on my bed rug to show up.

Last edited:

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great combo. I have the same set-up ready to install this week (bakflip on back-order, Bedrug in the garage). Is it easy to cut the Bedrug for the tie-downs in the bed in the exact right place? And any issues with the Bakflip rails and the top of the Bedrug?

aIIan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2O14
Engine
I'm debating getting a cover myself. Don't know if I want to deal with the inherent loss of visibility. The rolling BakFlip looks pretty nice.

Last edited:

MR.REMBERT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've debated the same thing. I've had a roll up and it becomes a pain in the ass. I don't plan on having it up but on occasions when I haul my bike. Plus if you've spent anytime in an up-armored vehicle (guessing you have) you're probably use to using mirrors primarily.

OP
OP
ExpressRules

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great combo. I have the same set-up ready to install this week (bakflip on back-order, Bedrug in the garage). Is it easy to cut the Bedrug for the tie-downs in the bed in the exact right place? And any issues with the Bakflip rails and the top of the Bedrug?

Cutting for the tie downs was simple. Once I dry fit the liner and had it all tucked tight and how I wanted it all I did was use a box cutter and felt where the tie down was and cut along the edge of it until it was starting to poke through and pushed it right through. The slit is barely big enough to fit so when the rug is pushed tight against the sidewall of the bed you cant even tell it is slit. took about 30 seconds for each one. I should have taken a picture of them but didnt think of it.

The BedRug doesn't create any problems for the BakFflip rails. As I said before, the biggest issue with cover install was that the instructions really had no detail, but once you lay the rails out it is pretty obvious how they install. Just 3 clamps on each side. It comes with drain tubes but I didn't install them. Had some rain last night and didn't find any leakage. Next test will be driving with a good rain to see how much, if any, wind blown rain gets in.

If you have room in garage you may want to remove BedRug from box so it can have time to relax and lay flat. isn't critical, but probably saves a few minutes laying it out to zipper it if you are installing alone like I did.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Velcro holds everything very securely. Once in place it is not going to move and it actually takes a strong pull to get the Velcro apart. I had one in my Dakota for 5 years and never had an attachment point come loose. Over the time I had the BedRug in the Dakota it carried everything from mulch, lumber, furniture, and paving stone and still looked great when I traded t truck in.

I think the BakFlip VP looks great on the truck and while the install instructions were very lacking it was pretty obvious how the rails attached and a easy install.

Thank ya sir!

seaham358

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Black Express package
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same setup, I got a good deal on a used VP and bed rug ... Love them both.
I used the drain tubes on mine, you can stuff the hose in the stake pocket hole in the inside of the bed. Its a tight fit but it can be wiggled and the hose slides in and down the inside of the truck bed fender. During extremely heavy rain I had some water drain off from the tonneau cover channel down the hose. I've been cleaning/protecting the cover with 303 Aerospace and it looks awesome. It is also easy to take the cover off if needed, 2 bolts with screw knobs hold it on, it can be taken off in minutes.