Bought a 2011 Ram Sport 4x4 - 165k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I knew it wouldn't be too long before I couldn't help myself and purchase an older Ram (2011) that had been taken great care of in terms of body paint and interior. I paid $12,500 for it mostly because of it having a new Bakflip tri fold cover and a ton of recent maintenance done as well. Aside from it being brilliant black pearlcoat and bone stock, it's got over 165,000 miles (but 5755 engine hours!!). Im a little nervous about the engine hours but it doesnt appear to have any obvious ticking noises and the previous owner took it to a local shop that does good work. I absolutely missed my 2012 Lone Star and I just don't like new trucks. The 545RFE 5 speed trans with overdrive also is one I like as well. Plus love having that trans dipstick.

Attachments

• 20240117_175714.jpg
    20240117_175714.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Not a bad looking unit.

Have you driven an 8spd yet? I never hated my RFE's (had a couple over the years), but once I got in an 8spd there's no comparison. Dipstick or not.
Yep I did, never did shift consistently unfortunately

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I like the rfe, but the 545 is not my favorite, too bad you didnt get a 6 speed. However, the right gears can give that 545 some relief from low rpms with 3.92's, so do you know your gears? I would also suggest the weakness with that is the valve body with those miles. And what color is transmission fluid?

It's in great shape for black 13-14 years old.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I like the rfe, but the 545 is not my favorite, too bad you didnt get a 6 speed. However, the right gears can give that 545 some relief from low rpms with 3.92's, so do you know your gears? I would also suggest the weakness with that is the valve body with those miles. And what color is transmission fluid?

It's in great shape for black 13-14 years old.
Oh, yeah I was surprised it's not a 6 speed but it does indeed have the 3.92s. the transmission fluid color looked red maybe just slightly brown-ish red. looked great!

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Those 3.92's is gonna save that 545, it keeps you in better rpm's. See the filter option thread.

this guy sells the best filter thread upgrade.
it was a requirement when I looked. I actually found the original full build spec sheets to confirm that. I was impressed by the overall build breakdown for a marketplace find. I just hope it will be a good truck. All i can do is my best to maintain it from here, going forward.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Those 3.92's is gonna save that 545, it keeps you in better rpm's. See the filter option thread.

this guy sells the best filter thread upgrade.
what is that filter thread for? i get it's to replace the plastic version on the RFE. I guess i just don't understand why i would need it if I don't have any issue with mine.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
what is that filter thread for? i get it's to replace the plastic version on the RFE. I guess i just don't understand why i would need it if I don't have any issue with mine.
When those plastic ones break, there goes the transmission, has happened on ram forum. Whenever it is time to do fluid, that is the best one and a one time purchase.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
it was a requirement when I looked. I actually found the original full build spec sheets to confirm that. I was impressed by the overall build breakdown for a marketplace find. I just hope it will be a good truck. All i can do is my best to maintain it from here, going forward.
There is a group of us who think that 2012 ram is the best truck ever made, and 2011 with 3.92's perhaps the second best truck ever made. BTW, this was a conversation I recently had and that was not said by me but someone else, which a couple us us totally agree. Of note, no wildone wasnt one of us, lol. If I had to guess he would think early 8 speeds are.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There is a group of us who think that 2012 ram is the best truck ever made, and 2011 with 3.92's perhaps the second best truck ever made. BTW, this was a conversation I recently had and that was not said by me but someone else, which a couple us us totally agree. Of note, no wildone wasnt one of us, lol. If I had to guess he would think early 8 speeds are.
Actually i like the 15/16 trucks with the 8 speed better then the 13/14 trucks with the 8 speed Mike,lol. About all i've told him is he should probably go over all the typical maintence items,and maybe clean his coil towers and install new plug boots and springs,and put it on a good oil change schedule.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Sounds like a good deal for $12.5k. Personally not a huge fan of the 5 speed but it still does its job.

Congrats, looks great.
thanks, yeah i never was one to be into black but this particular black with the metallic flake and almost presents itself as a real dark grey. I dig it. Can't beat the look of the sport hood and matching bumpers too.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Actually i like the 15/16 trucks with the 8 speed better then the 13/14 trucks with the 8 speed Mike,lol. About all i've told him is he should probably go over all the typical maintence items,and maybe clean his coil towers and install new plug boots and springs,and put it on a good oil change schedule.
but not the later 8 speeds, like after 2017? Similar ilk, we tend to like the trucks with less stuff that can break but differ in 8 versus rfe, and 2016 did get the better lifter rollers so I can get on board with that.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
After buying my 19 Classic it was only then that I did not care as much for my 11 Sport. It is a good truck but electric steering, 8 speed trans, and a bit nicer interior the Classic wins. Now that I just bought a 23 Classic the 11 Sport is going to find it's way into someone else's garage.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
what gears in the 2011?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice looking tk! Some of the maintenance items I'd probably pro-actively perform with a 2011 would be:

1) Toss a fuel pump relay bypass cable in the glovebox HERE. There are Y/T videos on it. It's not difficult to replace the actual RELAY on the TIPM board. Or just be educated about it, and know how the cable goes in, in case you ever find yourself in a 'situation'.

2) Exchange fluids. Esp those fluids right away which most owners overlook ...like P/S & brakes. Could extend the life of those components. I use mopar products b/c it's just easy to remember down the road. The rest of fluids, belts, etc are pretty obvious.

3) There's a fuel pressure regulator...watch a few videos on it. Not an epidemic issue, but just be aware of what it is and you'll be smarter for it. Mine's original at 175k mi. But they do flake-out.

4) Center bearing: If your truck has a 2-pc driveshaft with center bearing. Those can flake out. Again, not epidemic, but given your yr/miles ...just something to check. Lot easier to do things in advance when you have time to do them, weather it's soon or when you get a chance.

5) Consider a nurf bar or step and figure out how to step "up" onto the seat rather than slide in and out. That wears out the seat foam b/c there's a bar as part of the seat underneath the edge where ya slide in/out. If yours is already worn out, consider replacing the cushion. Not that difficult to do. If the cover is worn out, there are replacements ..or a few ways to deal with that. Just a thought to keep your rig nice.
5) Have lots of fun!! :happy160:

Last edited:
OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Nice looking tk! Some of the maintenance items I'd probably pro-actively perform with a 2011 would be:

1) Toss a fuel pump relay bypass cable in the glovebox HERE. There are Y/T videos on it. It's not difficult to replace the actual RELAY on the TIPM board. Or just be educated about it, and know how the cable goes in, in case you ever find yourself in a 'situation'.

2) Exchange fluids. Esp those fluids right away which most owners overlook ...like P/S & brakes. Could extend the life of those components. I use mopar products b/c it's just easy to remember down the road. The rest of fluids, belts, etc are pretty obvious.

3) There's a fuel pressure regulator...watch a few videos on it. Not an epidemic issue, but just be aware of what it is and you'll be smarter for it. Mine's original at 175k mi. But they do flake-out.

4) Center bearing: If your truck has a 2-pc driveshaft with center bearing. Those can flake out. Again, not epidemic, but given your yr/miles ...just something to check. Lot easier to do things in advance when you have time to do them, weather it's soon or when you get a chance.

5) Consider a nurf bar or step and figure out how to step "up" onto the seat rather than slide in and out. That wears out the seat foam b/c there's a bar as part of the seat underneath the edge where ya slide in/out. If yours is already worn out, consider replacing the cushion. Not that difficult to do. If the cover is worn out, there are replacements ..or a few ways to deal with that. Just a thought to keep your rig nice.
5) Have lots of fun!! :happy160:

Thanks I'm worried it may have some kind of knock going on with it. I'm going to take it in to a great mechanic who sees plenty of DJRC products with a 5.7 and find out if it's just an older truck kind of thing or if I have an actual problem I didn't try to save money only to find a problem and end up spending more but when I test drove and heard the truck twice I didn't really notice this sound.

Snoopy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You better get ready. Cam/Lifter = new engine. I hope its not and I wish you the best.