Buying used rims and tires.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi I'm wanting to upgrade my stock 17" to factory chrome 20" wheels. Is there any concern with putting bigger wheels on a truck that always had 17" they are factory 20" though. Any strain on transmission

Also the wheels have about half tread left any issues with that

Also they should have the tpms system will that work right away with my factory tpms?

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Its really about the overall height. That is where your speedo calibration will come into play as well as any other affect on the drivetrain.
To get the TPMS sensors to work on the new wheels you will have to have someone program them in.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as the tread depth. Make sure there is even wear. A good sign someone was taking care of them. Get a cheap $3 depth gauge at an auto parts store and measure each of them to verify. Figure out what depth they come in new. Ask the guy how many miles he has put on them. Lastly, subtract 2/32nds from your measurement to figure out how much you really have left.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You should post up in the want to buy/trade of this forum. Sometimes someone is looking to go the other way.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Cecil_

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm not looking to make the truck taller with the 20" the sidewalk size should get smaller right? As long as the two tires heights are the same I should be good?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
yes you should be good as you are not changing the diameter.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
the stock 20's come with 33" tires, the stock 17's come with shorter tires....Your speedo will be off, but it will not strain your transmission. As long as the tpms sensors are from compatible years you don't have to do anything except drive the truck with them on for a few miles for them to register. If they are not compatible you will have to put compatible sensors in the new wheels or just deal with the light on the dash

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hmmm. Didn't happen with mine. Now I have to enter the numbers on each tpms sensor in whenever I take the tires off. I'll be dealing with the light for a while I guess[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Cecil_

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What to I need to know about buying used wheels with tires.

The wheels are 5 kug and have about 1/2 tread on them. Would I have to get them balanced? Also any other thoughts people have.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check them for damage, make sure the rims aren't bent or twisted.... Take them to a shop if the buyer will let you.

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look at the date they were manufactured.... It's 3 or 4 numers with an oval around it normally, first 2 digits is the year followed by the week. I wouldn't buy them if they are older than 4 years old

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, I believe certain TPMS only work with certain years? That's whats been preventing me from getting certain used wheels. I dont want it to screw that up.