Dee Zee tailgate assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was looking on amazon and the discription says only one gas strut on the drivers side is required ?

I guess I just assumed there would be two ...

I welcome any comments , to include any issues with this product .

Thanks for a response and sorry if this has been covered .

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆EDIT☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Finally got around to installing my Dee Zee tailgate assist .
Purchased from a vendor here Car.i.d.

Simple install : opened , inventoried , read the Great instructions completely & install took 15 mins , post inventory & reading instructions.

16359f97391d6963ad3e2b85616bb238.jpg

e366c807f8a36586d2d0ac41eb46323a.jpg

a94a5508f3f74e10673fa966d13ec3c4.jpg

dc38b72e398a5619a08121d11889cb8f.jpg

e82cd22e3562d6f5ab0259246995ab9e.jpg

783636bf0ff770068fe9dc08b8b689c3.jpg

4ddbf710c97200b8294d077ad87aaa3b.jpg

277ef0930ea21c26cfca8fd4fe476bf6.jpg

https://vimeo.com/181810278

I would normally include some narrative as far as installation insight , but the instructions with the kit pretty much says it all ; however, ....

Two things I'd add to the instructions :

1) apply anti-sieize or grease to the threads of the nut sert install tool ( last 1.5 turns got pretty tight) I went 9 1/2 full turns .
Clean out grease from the previously installed nutsert with contact cleaner prior to installing the ball stud with thread locker .

2) apply a bit of grease to the ball studs prior to installation of the strut to prevent future corrosion and squweeks .

That's it ! Very simple install .

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed one on my truck. You are correct there is only one strut in the kit and that is all that is needed. I am happy with mine. It works great and was easy to install.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
my 07 Tundra came with one from the factory. After that got totaled and I bought my 1500, I was happy Dee Zee made an add on. it worked/works great and easy to install. over a year of constant use, no problems

the nutsert on my 2500 stripped and loosened after 3 months. No problem, Dee Zee customer service sent me an entire nutsert kit for free and now back in service. I can't see any major down sides to installing it. Best bang for your buck in my opinion.

Ram_Fish1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 BigHorn CC 4x4
Engine
5.7L
When you go to install the plug on the bed side may or may not have an issue getting it to seat. It specifies like 3/4" on the threads but both I have installed took more. To get it to seat tightly. Just remember it's working like a wall anchor in drywall. So just get it to snug up. Start with instructed length but don't be surprised if you need more. My experience atleast.

Slainte06

Reaction score
Ram Year
RAM REBEL 1500 2016
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you look at reviews, the only complain you will get is the install of the Nutsert. To save this from being an hour install, I would use the lock tight when adding the bolt to the nutsert, making sure you have 3/4 inch from top of washer like instructions tell you. Allot of people had issue with it turning as they were tightening, this resolved that for me. First install 45 minutes, broken nutsert. Second install 10 minutes after following trick with lock tight glue. Really is a great cheap mod and I think it can also be handy for small kids who do decide to open tail gate when climbing , like mine do and it falls by accident. Good Luck!!!

MaxSteelRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you look at reviews, the only complain you will get is the install of the Nutsert. To save this from being an hour install, I would use the lock tight when adding the bolt to the nutsert, making sure you have 3/4 inch from top of washer like instructions tell you. Allot of people had issue with it turning as they were tightening, this resolved that for me. First install 45 minutes, broken nutsert. Second install 10 minutes after following trick with lock tight glue. Really is a great cheap mod and I think it can also be handy for small kids who do decide to open tail gate when climbing , like mine do and it falls by accident. Good Luck!!!

can also use masking tape/painters tape under the nutsert to provide grip.. worked first time for me after doing that... i spent like 3 days on and off messing around with the spinning nut.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put one on a few months ago. I'm glad I did. It was very easy to install and I had no problem with the nutsert. It came with a lil "tool" to install the nutsert which worked fine for me. I told/showed by boss at work about it and he ordered one which he asked me to install for him, again no problems with the install. Since these tailgates are so damn heavy I'm glad I put it on

SirMarco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Me and my dad did mine on Tuesday. Super easy to install. The instructions were spot on. It took us about 15 minutes total. I love it. The bed lowers really smooth and easy now.

MaxSteelRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does anyone have a noisy / grindy kind of sounding shock?

BlackWidow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram
Engine
We've got one on my wife's 2500 and mostly we're pretty happy with it.

The only complaints I have is some corrosion on the part of the strut that clips on the ball mount on either end so I might suggest shooting those parts with a quality primer and paint. The other thing I wasn't happy with was the plastic piece that is supposed to prevent the cable from binding was rubbing the paint off the tailgate. I ended up removing the plastic piece and not more issue.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
does anyone have a noisy / grindy kind of sounding shock?

mine did that when my nutsert on my 2500 started loosening. As soon as I installed a new one, the funny sound disappeared. I'm assuming inconsistent tension as it extends as the nutsert wiggled??? I don't know, just guessing, either way, make sure both ends are secure and go from there.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great info ! Thank you Sir !

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We've got one on my wife's 2500 and mostly we're pretty happy with it.

The only complaints I have is some corrosion on the part of the strut that clips on the ball mount on either end so I might suggest shooting those parts with a quality primer and paint. The other thing I wasn't happy with was the plastic piece that is supposed to prevent the cable from binding was rubbing the paint off the tailgate. I ended up removing the plastic piece and not more issue.
I've heard of people removing this piece before. Thanks for the info!

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yup, I think everyone that has one has these issues. As for the corrosion, I use a little bit of fluid film and that has gotten me through to Buffalo, NY winters....not corrosion at all. For that plastic piece you mention, I used some clear armor tape that I got from Pep Boys and has continued to work great by protecting my tailgate.

MaxSteelRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine did that when my nutsert on my 2500 started loosening. As soon as I installed a new one, the funny sound disappeared. I'm assuming inconsistent tension as it extends as the nutsert wiggled??? I don't know, just guessing, either way, make sure both ends are secure and go from there.

brand new install, everything tight.. did it from the very first tailgate drop

Ram_Fish1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 BigHorn CC 4x4
Engine
5.7L
Quit thinking about it and order one already. ;)
I Agree with this!^^^^^
Order one @R.L.K. you will be glad you did. 2nd truck I have had it on and first thing I ordered when I got current ram.