Headlight/fog light suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all, looking for a ton of suggestions. I've had the truck a little over a month now and wanting to dig into the lights. Looks like the previous owner already put in smoked tails and 3rd brake light, but the front is stock.

1. Should I go with a smoked foglight? The clear ones kinda work since the truck is black with subtle chrome accents. I'd love to murder it out, but not going to spend the money for new running boards & wheels, so the accents balance out well imo.

2. Any suggestions on headlights? The current ones look good, but not a huge fan of amber showing. Personally not a huge fan of halos either.

3. DRLs - has anyone done a white drl conversion to factory lights? Is it even possible?

4. HID conversion suggestions... Seen mixed reviews on the opt7... Are there some kits that are reliable and won't break the bank?

Couple of pics for reference. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20170504_182155.jpg
    IMG_20170504_182155.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20170504_182128.jpg
    IMG_20170504_182128.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20170423_205106.jpg
    IMG_20170423_205106.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20170408_153326.jpg
    IMG_20170408_153326.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20170325_094434.jpg
    IMG_20170325_094434.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 169

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like the factory sport headlights. Being they all black, I'm guessing a 2015 model? Look into Retro Shop Online Store he's got pretty much everything you looking for. The clear corners, the white running lights, and different fogs if you wanted.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like the factory sport headlights. Being they all black, I'm guessing a 2015 model? Look into Retro Shop Online Store he's got pretty much everything you looking for. The clear corners, the white running lights, and different fogs if you wanted.

You know you're stuff, 2015 sport. I'll check them out. :favorites13:

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I strongly urge you to avoid LED headlight bulbs. Some people swear by them, but those of us who are knowledgeable about the nuances of vehicle lighting will tell you the performance isn't there.

If it were me, I'd crack the stock lights open, replace the amber reflectors with clear or smoked ones, and swap out the LED boards for a set of Diode Dynamics switchbacks. While you're in there it would be ideal to swap out the stock projectors for a set of HID ones. That'll let you run OEM D2S bulbs. If you don't want to do that, the stock projectors do OK with HIDs.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yowza... You were right, they got it all but for a premium price tag.... $740 for them to modify my existing headlights lights w/ everything I want. Tough to spend that kinda dough when I still got LT headers to get.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I strongly urge you to avoid LED headlight bulbs. Some people swear by them, but those of us who are knowledgeable about the nuances of vehicle lighting will tell you the performance isn't there.

If it were me, I'd crack the stock lights open, replace the amber reflectors with clear or smoked ones, and swap out the LED boards for a set of Diode Dynamics switchbacks. While you're in there it would be ideal to swap out the stock projectors for a set of HID ones. That'll let you run OEM D2S bulbs. If you don't want to do that, the stock projectors do OK with HIDs.

Definitely not going the LED route. I've done an LED/HID side by side comparison on a prior vehicle. Not sure what's tried and true for the Rams. Looks like 15+ is trickier.

I've always been scared to bake my headlights and crack them open. Mostly afraid that I'll never get them sealed right.

I don't have the soldering skills to swap out the LED boards, but Diode Dynamics HQ is in my home town, maybe I can get them to install. Good dudes, worked with them before while they were working on new HID kits for 2nd gen 300C's.

Never heard of a projector swap. Do you have a link for the projector? What's the advantage? Cheaper? Are the D2S bulbs better?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Yowza... You were right, they got it all but for a premium price tag.... $740 for them to modify my existing headlights lights w/ everything I want. Tough to spend that kinda dough when I still got LT headers to get.

Gotta see! ;) Yes, I'm biased.....as I own RetroShop :roflsquared:

Definitely not going the LED route. I've done an LED/HID side by side comparison on a prior vehicle. Not sure what's tried and true for the Rams. Looks like 15+ is trickier.

I've always been scared to bake my headlights and crack them open. Mostly afraid that I'll never get them sealed right.

I don't have the soldering skills to swap out the LED boards, but Diode Dynamics HQ is in my home town, maybe I can get them to install. Good dudes, worked with them before while they were working on new HID kits for 2nd gen 300C's.

Never heard of a projector swap. Do you have a link for the projector? What's the advantage? Cheaper? Are the D2S bulbs better?

15+ is a total different ballgame. LED just won't cut it.....

As for install, Diode doesn't do installs - in fact.....I'm in St Louis (Florissant to be exact) - 10 minutes from Diode......I do quite a bit of the demos they do, their SEMA vehicles, etc.

Projector swap, check my page again - if you go to our building tool again and go to the "headlight option details" tab (below the add to cart button) - you'll see a video of FXRs back on the bottoms here in STL - huge difference in output, but...not cheaper.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Oh, if you're in DD territory then that means you're also local to the master of all things RAM lighting - Jeremy at RetroShop (vendor on the forum). He will be able to help you with everything from plug-and-play HIDs to opening the lights and swapping out boards, reflectors, etc.

I'm a headlight guy and have done several retrofits myself, but the RAM lights are a real hassle to open. So, I sent my lights out to Jeremy this time around and I'm glad I did.

As for the projectors, a dedicated HID projector will perform better with HID bulbs than the factory halogen one. The advantage with the bulbs is that you can use OEM ones. HIDs that come in reflector bases are generally made in China. They're lower quality and sometimes require shimming. With a projector setup for an HID bulb like D2S, you can use high quality OEM bulbs like Philips and Osram.

The popular projector to swap into the RAM is the Morimoto FX-R as they sell a kit to bolt it in place of the stock one.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotta see! ;) Yes, I'm biased.....as I own RetroShop :roflsquared:

15+ is a total different ballgame. LED just won't cut it.....

As for install, Diode doesn't do installs - in fact.....I'm in St Louis (Florissant to be exact) - 10 minutes from Diode......I do quite a bit of the demos they do, their SEMA vehicles, etc.

Projector swap, check my page again - if you go to our building tool again and go to the "headlight option details" tab (below the add to cart button) - you'll see a video of FXRs back on the bottoms here in STL - huge difference in output, but...not cheaper.

Ut oh.... You're gonna get me in trouble... Being so close is going to bring out my impulsive side lol.

What's your current turn around time? I'm located in high ridge. Flying out Saturday @ noon for a week of vacation, so I'll be right up in your area. Are you available for Saturday dropoff/pickup?

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh, if you're in DD territory then that means you're also local to the master of all things RAM lighting - Jeremy at RetroShop (vendor on the forum). He will be able to help you with everything from plug-and-play HIDs to opening the lights and swapping out boards, reflectors, etc.

I'm a headlight guy and have done several retrofits myself, but the RAM lights are a real hassle to open. So, I sent my lights out to Jeremy this time around and I'm glad I did.

As for the projectors, a dedicated HID projector will perform better with HID bulbs than the factory halogen one. The advantage with the bulbs is that you can use OEM ones. HIDs that come in reflector bases are generally made in China. They're lower quality and sometimes require shimming. With a projector setup for an HID bulb like D2S, you can use high quality OEM bulbs like Philips and Osram.

The popular projector to swap into the RAM is the Morimoto FX-R as they sell a kit to bolt it in place of the stock one.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I gotta pay to play! Sounds like I'm in convenient proximity to Jeremy to get something figured out.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Ut oh.... You're gonna get me in trouble... Being so close is going to bring out my impulsive side lol.

What's your current turn around time? I'm located in high ridge. Flying out Saturday @ noon for a week of vacation, so I'll be right up in your area. Are you available for Saturday dropoff/pickup?

LOL

Unpainted I could complete next week. Painted stuff......we are a bit further out on, LOTS of paint in the books right now.

We can get a dropoff of your lights Saturday - assuming the kiddos games are cancelled - I'll be home ;) Just a note, we don't work on the vehicle itself here, just the lights. Haven't seen the need for a full blown shop yet (not a LOT of need in STL) - so we keep it simple and work from our home on these, as 99% are shipped in ;)

Give me a call tomorrow, we can figure it all out. 314-669-4437 :favorites13:

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL

Unpainted I could complete next week. Painted stuff......we are a bit further out on, LOTS of paint in the books right now.

We can get a dropoff of your lights Saturday - assuming the kiddos games are cancelled - I'll be home ;) Just a note, we don't work on the vehicle itself here, just the lights. Haven't seen the need for a full blown shop yet (not a LOT of need in STL) - so we keep it simple and work from our home on these, as 99% are shipped in ;)

Give me a call tomorrow, we can figure it all out. 314-669-4437 :favorites13:

Right on. I'm thinking I won't need paint since it's black on black, unless there are other potential areas to paint. I'm pretty flexible and can figure out whatever need be for dropoff. I should be able to take the lights out tomorrow night before the blues game as long as they're not too much of a PITA. I'll give you a call tomorrow afternoon. Going to be a little crazy at work since I'll be out for a week, but I'll figure out some time. Thanks!

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Right on. I'm thinking I won't need paint since it's black on black, unless there are other potential areas to paint. I'm pretty flexible and can figure out whatever need be for dropoff. I should be able to take the lights out tomorrow night before the blues game as long as they're not too much of a PITA. I'll give you a call tomorrow afternoon. Going to be a little crazy at work since I'll be out for a week, but I'll figure out some time. Thanks!

Sounds good!

Dallask_85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Opt-7

Love my Opt-7 led conversion kits.. 100x's brighter than stock and bright white!!
That's on my 2012 ram 1500 Crew cab Sport. Not the newer style projector headlights.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Placed an order with Jeremy today. Will dropoff headlights tomorrow. :party36:

Clear amber
Tint on clear and lower diffuser
RGBWA color changing DRLs w/ amber turn signals
FX-R projectors
50w/5500K

Will post some pics once I get back from vacation and pick them up! Will still need to go to the dealer to activate the DRLs

Buckeyedavey2323

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just sounds like to me that the retro lighting way is just a big hassle or is this just me I mean it's like 700 for headlights to get done plus you have to go to the dealer for what? Activate drl? I don't understand.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
If those are black shrouds, do some research whether or not they melt with his install.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Placed an order with Jeremy today. Will dropoff headlights tomorrow. :party36:

Clear amber
Tint on clear and lower diffuser
RGBWA color changing DRLs w/ amber turn signals
FX-R projectors
50w/5500K

Will post some pics once I get back from vacation and pick them up! Will still need to go to the dealer to activate the DRLs

TY for your order! ;)

Just sounds like to me that the retro lighting way is just a big hassle or is this just me I mean it's like 700 for headlights to get done plus you have to go to the dealer for what? Activate drl? I don't understand.

Depends on what all you want done.......customer wants the DRLs enabled, and the easiest way to do that is at the dealer (its a 15 minute update). That doesn't mean that its required, but will work great for what he chose on this build. As for cost......again, just comes down to what you'd like to see in a set of lights. Most come in over $700 - some are over $2500.......loads of fun in those. Its like buying a truck....you can get a "base" model, or the decked out one ;)

If those are black shrouds, do some research whether or not they melt with his install.

His are black, have some slight melt now - we aren't modifying anything on those, and the modifications we do ...... won't change or impact them any different than the OEM projectors.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys... I know this is a lot of money to spend on lights... I pulled the trigger for the premium because I know and appreciate the work that goes into it ... I am capable of doing the mods myself... Technically... But for the amount of money that Jeremy chargers, it's a no brainer to me, to insure it's done right. I'll post pics when I get them back, but I'm already confident I'll be happy. If I did it myself, I'd mess it up the first time, which is expensive with $850 headlights.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
You will be very pleased with the results and the light output will be phenomenal.