Headlight problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey guys I have a 2012 ram rt with the stock quad headlights but the previous owner had hids on it. When I bought it after it was traded in it came with halogen bulbs so either the other owner or the dealer lost the dust caps in the back so my lights have been without them for a while. Now recently my driver side headlight has been messing up where it won't turn on sometimes when I turn on the truck but will come on later after driving a while or sometimes it won't come on at all. I tried turning on the highs and that doesent work either so I'm thinking it's not the bulb but I wanted you guys opinion on what the problem could be? I am going to order new headlights soon so that they can have the dust covers but I'm trying to figure out what problems I might run into once I change everything out.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thats an interesting problem, I would say check all your connections and make sure there isn't corrossion in them.

kcdt58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say check connections also. Sounds like there is an interrupted connection somewhere that is causing the light to only work on occasion.

OP
OP
SILVER_BULLET

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yea it has me stumped because at first I thought well it's the bulb till the high beams stopped working also but yea I'll have to look to see if there's corrosion in the plugs. What should I do if there is just put some dielectric grease in them?

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
take a straight or angled pick and gently remove the corrosion, after that little dielectric can't hurt at least around the edges of the plug to keep moisture out.

OP
OP
SILVER_BULLET

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If it were to come down to it being really corroded how hard do you think it is to replace the plugs?

kcdt58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They make contact cleaner for electrical connections that will remove the corrosion. The dielectric grease should be put on after the connections are clean to prevent it from happening again.

OP
OP
SILVER_BULLET

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'll go to autozone and look for that today.. I really hate all the trouble it takes to just check the bulbs on these trucks

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right its kinda nuts. But yeah I forgot about the contact cleaner since I have none in my garage and I just use what is avalible to me at the time lol.

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Have you considered maybe putting HID's back on? The retro shop kit is spot on and you only have to clean up 1 connector per side.

I'm a big fan of dielectric grease too. Any time I touch something electrical I always dab some on before I plug everything back in.

OP
OP
SILVER_BULLET

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes I have been wanting to get a set of hid's on it again but I'm going to order a set of headlights first before I get the hids that way I can keep this problem from happening again. I'll make sure to put some dielectric grease on when I get it all figured out

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thats an interesting problem, I would say check all your connections and make sure there isn't corrossion in them.

I would assume corrosion as well being moisture was getting in there. Probably didn't have any dielectric grease either if they forgot to put the covers back on. :doh2:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Do any of the connections looks corroded?

The one that plugs into the headlight bulb could be since it's the one that should be covered by the cap.

OP
OP
SILVER_BULLET

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I honestly haven't been able to look yet I'm going to try and get it all done tomorrow night and Saturday since I don't have time during the week but I really hope if they are corroded it's not anything too bad but I'll find out soon

OP
OP
SILVER_BULLET

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
well i took the headlight out this weekend and im guessing something was being pinched because once it was out i turned on the lights and sure enough they started working so i put everything back on making sure nothing was getting pinched this time and now just to save up a little bit to buy a set of new headlights to make sure i dont have corrosion problems later.

OP
OP
SILVER_BULLET

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well the light went out again last night I'm going to have to take it off again and look closer to see if maybe the wires in the plugs are loose or what the issue could be