HELP! Front left turn signal comes on when brake is pressed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greychevy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I installed LED switchbacks from the retrofit source(resistors too)in my headlights and when my lights are off and I hit the brakes the driverside switchback comes on solid(the passenger switchback does not). It then goes off when I let off the brake. Also, when I turn on the driverside turn signal, my tag lights flash(again, they do not flash with the passengerside turn signal on)Other than that they function fine. I swapped the switchbacks from side to side, checked the grounds, and checked the electrical connectors....still the same. Anyone have a solution?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Did the retrofit come with a complete harness? When you swapped sides did it stay on the driver side or switch to the passenger side?

OP
OP
greychevy

greychevy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Did the retrofit come with a complete harness? When you swapped sides did it stay on the driver side or switch to the passenger side?

It was just the switchback bulbs in my quad housing....no harness change. When I swapped them it stayed at the driverside

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
For being such a new truck I wouldn't think that there would be a short in the lighting harness, but you never know. In the past when this type of thing occurs, it's usually a bad/broken ground. I would switch back to the originals and see if it still happens, if the problem disappears, hen you know that there's a problem with the kit you got, but if it stays, I would look very closely at the wiring harness.

OP
OP
greychevy

greychevy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
For being such a new truck I wouldn't think that there would be a short in the lighting harness, but you never know. In the past when this type of thing occurs, it's usually a bad/broken ground. I would switch back to the originals and see if it still happens, if the problem disappears, hen you know that there's a problem with the kit you got, but if it stays, I would look very closely at the wiring harness.

Yeah, same here. The grounds at front and rear of truck are good and I looked over the wiring and didn't see anything. Could it be the relay? I'm stumped

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Call me ignorant but what is a switchback? Is this a modern newly invented word for a turn signal light?
Ok I looked it up, now I know, was not meaning to sound like a smartass, not too much anyway.
GL hope you get it straightened out.

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Did you add resistors on the turning bulb harness part, or the whole harness?

I swapped to JJ's 13 headlights and had hyperflashing with the blinkers, and it effected tag lights, etc...and I had to do a 50w6ohm resistor on both front turn signal LED's to stop the hyperflashing.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Yeah, same here. The grounds at front and rear of truck are good and I looked over the wiring and didn't see anything. Could it be the relay? I'm stumped

I honestly don't see a relay going bad, I've had a relay in 2 different trucks that gets wet, mud and all kinds of stuff on it and it still functions perfect. To me that means that relays don't go bad hardly ever, but they do go bad, just can't see it happening this soon. I have a very strong feeling that if you didn't have this problem with the originals then the kit you got is a high suspect and if they are not functioning like intended (granted you installed them correctly) I would contact the manufacturer and talk to them because I doubt if you are the only one that has had this problem.

OP
OP
greychevy

greychevy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Did you add resistors on the turning bulb harness part, or the whole harness?

I swapped to JJ's 13 headlights and had hyperflashing with the blinkers, and it effected tag lights, etc...and I had to do a 50w6ohm resistor on both front turn signal LED's to stop the hyperflashing.

I added the resistors to just the turning portion of the harness. I haven't had any issues with hyperflashing

I honestly don't see a relay going bad, I've had a relay in 2 different trucks that gets wet, mud and all kinds of stuff on it and it still functions perfect. To me that means that relays don't go bad hardly ever, but they do go bad, just can't see it happening this soon. I have a very strong feeling that if you didn't have this problem with the originals then the kit you got is a high suspect and if they are not functioning like intended (granted you installed them correctly) I would contact the manufacturer and talk to them because I doubt if you are the only one that has had this problem.

I'm going to put the switchbacks back to stock and see if it's still doing it. I emailed the retrofit source but have not heard back yet

OP
OP
greychevy

greychevy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welp, I'm stumped. I swapped the resistors from side to side, put stock turn signals back in, ran it with out resistors and rechecked the grounds all with no change in the problem I'm having. The only thing I can think to do is go over the stock wiring again but I didn't see anything suspect the first time around.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Did you do anything/mods to your brake lights?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's weird man. I've heard of similar issues being caused by trailer wiring module or fried flasher module. I know you checked the grounds, but have you tried running an additional known ground wire to your signal light and/or brake to rule it out? I hate electrical gremlins!