Hitch removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MF2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone removed their hitch and still been able to keep the bumper?

I'd like to do it, but it seems the hitch is part of the bumper support.....specifically, it supports the bumper in the middle right behind the license plate.

Or....option # 2- Anyone have a rollpan installed. If yes, I'd like to see some pics please.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
I retract this statement. :)

Last edited:

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Find a truck that doesn't have a factory hitch and trade bumper supports. You can't just remove the bar because like you said it does support the bumper.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ok in order to get the hitch off, you have to unbolt your bed. The hitch is bolted between your frame and the bed. Unbolt it and lift up the bed and he hitch will slide right out. It wasnt holding anything on my rear bumper. And as for the roll pan, here is mine...

a6cd0b7e-c1f9-b2d4.jpg

[tapatalkin]

OP
OP
M

MF2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok in order to get the hitch off, you have to unbolt your bed. The hitch is bolted between your frame and the bed. Unbolt it and lift up the bed and he hitch will slide right out. It wasnt holding anything on my rear bumper. And as for the roll pan, here is mine...

a6cd0b7e-c1f9-b2d4.jpg

[tapatalkin]

I like that rollpan.....who is it made by? How much does it weigh?

Regarding the bumper.....I've already taken it off and that's how I realized it is connected to the bumper in the middle. There are 6 bolts that hold it on (if i remember correctly). There are two that hold it to the hitch located behind the license plate. It's definitely integrated in. I'll have to swap brackets with another person who doesn't have a hitch in order to properly support my bumper.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
if i remember correctly the hitch on the 3rd gens also bolted to the bumper buy the hitch was not what supported the bumper

Rumblebee#2331

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the hitch installed after I bought the truck, by the dealer, so it doesn't support the bumper, whether you have to unbolt the bed to remove is very likely, I know it was a n intricate part in my 3rd gen

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I like that rollpan.....who is it made by? How much does it weigh?

Its the street scene steel roll pan, probably weighs like 10 lbs or so.

[tapatalkin]