LED Reverse lights and tag lights. Error?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking at replacing all my white halogens in the rear of the truck with white LED bulbs. My question is do I have to do anything special to run them or are they plug and Play? I'm referring to any lamp out lights or flickering. Truck is a 2014.

Thanks

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Don't know about issues with flickering, but I have heard of some concerns with brighter LED plate lamps washing out the back up camera's at night?

Mark182005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't know about issues with flickering, but I have heard of some concerns with brighter LED plate lamps washing out the back up camera's at night?

I have the LED plate lamps and yes they do cause some glare on the screen but you can still see pretty clearly when the freakin camera lense is not dirty.

The only issue is the lamp out message when you start the truck.

OP
OP
X Gixxer 1000 X
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the LED plate lamps and yes they do cause some glare on the screen but you can still see pretty clearly when the freakin camera lense is not dirty.

The only issue is the lamp out message when you start the truck.
I don't have a back up camera unfortunately. I can't see much backing up so I was looking to replace the reverse lights and my OCD kicked in and I need everything to match back there.. So yea, fml. Lol

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
There all plug are play but like mentioned it seems the 2013+ only have the lamp out message.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you do a search on the forum, there are multiple threads on which LED's you need for this, as well as the resistors required to stop the lamp-out warnings.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought this was an interactive forum, not a database.

This is certainly an interactive forum. If you're unhappy with the form in which that interaction takes place, that is most unfortunate for you.

In addition, the fact that the information that is shared is archived, indexed and readily available would suggest that it is, indeed, also a database.

Good luck in your search.

JW597

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am completely new to this LED world and have been trying to figure out where and how to solder the resistors onto the LED bulb. I just installed both cargo/3rd brake and license plate lights. I now get a license plate light out and rear brake light out error. I know I need to solder resistors but I have no idea where and how. Or what the end result should look like. And I have been searching for days now with no success. Any ideas?

OP
OP
X Gixxer 1000 X
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am completely new to this LED world and have been trying to figure out where and how to solder the resistors onto the LED bulb. I just installed both cargo/3rd brake and license plate lights. I now get a license plate light out and rear brake light out error. I know I need to solder resistors but I have no idea where and how. Or what the end result should look like. And I have been searching for days now with no success. Any ideas?

This is what I'm trying to avoid. Lol. I believe the resistor goes in line with the LED. Maybe solder is to the actual metal prong? I hate electrical. Plug and play is good. Lol

ddavis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Since no one has given a straight answer, no, there is nothing special needed to change the reverse and tag lights, just plug and play

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
X Gixxer 1000 X
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since no one has given a straight answer, no, there is nothing special needed to change the reverse and tag lights, just plug and play

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I think the 13-14s are finicky. Everything apparently is canbus based. I have some 194 LED bulbs laying around from my old ram I'm going to swap and see what happens. I was going to order all of them in led but didn't want to get the wrong ones.

SafetyMan43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...the fact that the information that is shared is archived, indexed and readily available would suggest that it is, indeed, also a database.

Then how hard would it be to share a link with the guy looking for information?

Just sayin'

:happy160:

mcompany

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Resistors are easy to splice in man. I did it on my switchback turns tail lights reverse lights third brake and license plate lights. So I would have no trouble with these. Although my 2011 didnt need it. I did it anyway. They take all of 5 minutes to wire

Calvinmx48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Light a

I just replaced my LEDs that showed a warning to canbus LEDs and the message went away
Bought them on eBay sorry can't remember from who

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Then how hard would it be to share a link with the guy looking for information?

Just sayin'

:happy160:

No harder than it would be for someone to use the search feature and find it themselves.
Just sayin'.

:baby:

The resistors are spliced into the positive and negative wires in the bulb harness, thus creating a load and preventing bulb-out errors.

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
The resistors are spliced into the positive and negative wires in the bulb harness, thus creating a load and preventing bulb-out errors.

Not sure if it's the same, but my switch back LED signals used a tap to the hot signal wire though the resistor and to the body/frame of the truck.

Put a load on the system so the ecm didn't mistake it being out due to such little load.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Resistors will generally come with instructions but they will always connect to the hot wire and a ground of some sort.
You're basically shorting the hot wire to ground to create additional load; the resistor simply keeps the amperage low enough that it doesn't overload the circuit.