Locking cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cummins_femme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If this is put in the wrong place, I'm sorry. Please bear with me, I'm a woman and don't know much about diesel trucks beyond put def in the def fill, diesel in the diesel fill and do scheduled maintenance. I originally wrote a much longer post, but got logged out somehow and lost everything, so here is the short version.

I have recently run into some local trouble and my grocery getter has turned up damaged. Body damage on the passenger side. Maybe it's a coincidence, but who can say.

I'm concerned about leaving my practically new truck (CTD) parked around town. I know you can put stuff down in the fill line, because at the insistence of a mechanic I know, I bought a long funnel and put winter diesel treatment in. I don't want other people putting things in, too.

I have been told that I don't need a cap to keep out general debris or even water if you spray it in because of filters. I don't know if that's true or not, but I have kept the original plastic cap in place until I got my locking cap.

Does anyone else use a locking cap? I looked for a long time and couldn't find one made by dodge, but got one from a place called bem auto or something like that. Why can't I find a dodge locking cap?

I feel pretty confident about the cap because it's easy for my clumsy hands to use and I tried to yank it off. I think you'd definitely know if someone tries to remove it or tamper with it, since using tools on it will cause some sort of perceivable damage.

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i just asked my cousin who works in the parts department at our local dodge dealer, he said they do make a locking fuel cap but he is checking to see if they make a locking DEF cap. he said he would try to get me the part number for the fuel cap. Have you tried to call you dealership and ask the parts department for the locking cap?

Luke

OP
OP
C

cummins_femme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
i just asked my cousin who works in the parts department at our local dodge dealer, he said they do make a locking fuel cap but he is checking to see if they make a locking DEF cap. he said he would try to get me the part number for the fuel cap. Have you tried to call you dealership and ask the parts department for the locking cap?

Luke

Yes, I called the dealership. Parts dept. told me there isn't a "locking" cap for the 2013 and later dodge ram diesel pickups, but that there is a mopar cap/dust shield. I also spoke to the GM who told me that I didn't need a cap, period, since the "capless" neck is protected with flappers, screens and filters.

I emailed the GM a pic of the locking cap that I bought and he reacted in a really shocked way. He told me that he forwarded the pic to his parts department and asked me for a weblink to the manufacturer's website. I guess he wanted to contact them.

He told me again that dodge doesn't have a locking cap for the diesel pickups anymore, but the one in the picture I sent him looked really sweet.

Anyway, I'm happy mine is locked now.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Could you post up a link and/or part numbers for the 2013+ locking diesel fuel cap(s)? (and DEF cap if found).
Thank You

OP
OP
C

cummins_femme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Why not just buy a locking gas door? Kills two birds with one stone. Just an opinion

From what I read on another forum, if it's not all stainless steel components in the door lock then it might not open when you need it to. I saw online that most keyed locks are made with brass and steel innards. Something about the internal parts that need to move with the key don't move from corrosion. Then I would guess you'd have to take tools to it to get it to open.

From what I could see on the BEM Auto site, they only use anodized aluminum and stainless steel on their locking cap.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Why not just buy a locking gas door?

The fuel doors on the diesel trucks have a weather seal that gas trucks don't have. That would also have to be retrofitted.