Lower Front Strut Bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an FYI: I would like to suggest to take a few minutes and put the front of your newer truck on jack stands, and pull the front wheels off one at a time, and remove the lower strut bolt that goes into the a-arm and put a good coat of anti-seize on it, then put it back in and torque it to 155 lb/ft. It takes a 21mm and 24mm socket.
This will save you a lot of head aches when you want to replace or upgrade the struts in the future. This bolt will rust in the bushing and you will most likely have to replace the lower a-arms, Bolts, along with the struts. This is a well known issue with these bolts. I found this out the hard way on my 07 Sport last year.

Last edited:

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Just an FYI: I would like to suggest to take a few minutes and put the front of your newer truck on jack stands, and pull the front wheels off one at a time, and remove the lower strut bolt that goes into the a-arm and put a good coat of anti-seize on it, then put it back in and torque it to 155 lb/ft. It takes a 21mm and 24mm socket.
This will save you a lot of head aches when you want to replace or upgrade the struts in the future. This bolt will rust in the bushing and you will most likely have to replace the lower a-arms, Bolts, along with the struts. This is a well known issue with these bolts. I found this out the hard way on my 07 Sport last year.

E N J O Y ! ! !

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
True story! Had to cut the bolts out of mine, got away with just replacing the bolts and pressed in new bushings.

gbryant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I just spent hours beating on these bolts.... before I found this thread. These lowers are $1000 oem!!! Are replacements worth buying?

How did you press in bushings?

OP
OP
Ram Night

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just spent hours beating on these bolts.... before I found this thread. These lowers are $1000 oem!!! Are replacements worth buying?

Contact Rock Auto and get a set of lower arms made be moog because they will come with all bushings and ball joints that you can grease already installed. I had to do this on my 07 when I tried to replace the struts that were leaking. I also ordered upper arms that also come with new bushings and ball joints, this way the complete front end was rebuilt. I was happy with the front ride highth, so I also ordered new KYB struts with new springs already installed. I had less than $600.00 for all of the parts. Also check around and you can find new lower bolts and nuts for around 20.00.
And be sure to apply a lot of anti-seize compound to the inside on the bushings and bolts.

Last edited:

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Massive markup on anyting OEM. I used a cheap ball joint/u joint kit from Princess Auto, wasn't ideal but got the job done. Got the bushings from Napa and bolts from the stealer.