Need some help with headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
Hey everyone so today I swapped out me OEM quads for OEM projectors bought from rock auto. I got the kit from retro shops for the 15+ ram. When I hooked each light up I tested everything and it worked. Then I started driving and got blinker bulb out messages on both headlights. Upon closer inspection I found that neither my left or right blinker work. But when the head lights are on the strips that blink light up for parking lights. Everything else works fine it's just my blinkers. And like I said I tested everything and it worked and it worked for half my trip. Does anyone know why this might be happening as well as how to fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cant say for sure but I would look into putting a resistor in line for the blinker and see if that helps.

OP
OP
curryb15

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
Cant say for sure but I would look into putting a resistor in line for the blinker and see if that helps.

How would I go about doing that ?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think you should need anything else to make them work if you got the harness kit from Retroshop. I'd double check all your connections and any grounds to see if something came loose once you started driving.

Give them a call Phone / Text - (314) 669-HIDS (4437) M-F 830am-5pm CST. I know Jeremy is super helpfully and has great customer service.

OP
OP
curryb15

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
fca39c11a6ae13eb9671d65bf85509e6.jpg

These are the setup I'm running I believe there's resistors on them already

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
fca39c11a6ae13eb9671d65bf85509e6.jpg

These are the setup I'm running I believe there's resistors on them already

Looks like there are to me! I would definitely call and see what they say. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
I don't think you should need anything else to make them work if you got the harness kit from Retroshop. I'd double check all your connections and any grounds to see if something came loose once you started driving.

Give them a call Phone / Text - (314) 669-HIDS (4437) M-F 830am-5pm CST. I know Jeremy is super helpfully and has great customer service.

Yup,i'd go this route.Vibration might have caused something.

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had just the opposite weird problem with mine. The turn signals worked fine, but parking lights didn't light. I ended up unplugging everything and replugging and that cleared it up.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
I'm actually doing the same project this Saturday pending weather.

OP
OP
curryb15

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
So update I was able to get one side to work ...... I contacted retro shops and he suggested try a different ground well it worked for the one side. The other side I had no place to ground cuz the wires are so short. So I cut each ground wire and soldered a piece in the middle so it would be longer. Now I get now bulb out message and parking lights work but I still can't get the blinker to work. If you look closely you can see the parking light flickering like it wants to flash so I'm thinking I still have a ground problem.

There is no place to ground on the passenger side its crazy when I have time over the weekend I will have to play around with it.

OP
OP
curryb15

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
Idk if this matters but when I cut the ground wire on the resistors the wire inside was silver and i soldered a wire with copper in it you think that could be another reason why I'm not getting a good ground ?

OP
OP
curryb15

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
So I think I'm having a ground problem. My one side that was working now intermittently but I'm grounded to bare metal. Can anyone give me a guide on where I could ground ?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you are really running retro-shop lights, contact them. They have STELLAR customer service reviews

OP
OP
curryb15

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
If you are really running retro-shop lights, contact them. They have STELLAR customer service reviews

Will do thanks

OP
OP
curryb15

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
So I'm in contact with jermey about the issues. My driver side head light blinker works intermittently when it's not working I get bulb out and hyper flash messages. My passenger side is even stranger , the blinker didn't work at all but I got NO bulb out messages or hyper flash. This is where my grounds are I have a hard time believing grounds are the issue but I could be wrong
f1aaaa7010507ce2c034a05dcc68cfc1.jpg

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Two things come to mind when I look at that. First - did you grind the paint off down to bare metal under that washer (I would also grind some of the plating off the washer itself). Two - Is that washer in any way resting on the insulation from those wires.

I just went out and tested that same bolt with my multimeter and it's not that great of a ground. It really depended on where the probe touched on whether I had a good ground (and on that washer in particular it sucked). Just because a body bolt attaches to metal doesn't always mean it's the best place to ground a wire. Often it's only the threads of the fastener allowing any ground. Between the paint and sometimes the plating on the fastener it won't give a consistent ground.

I would try running a jumper wire directly from the negative battery post and try the lights. If that works you KNOW the ground was bad. I would then work on finding a better spot. It might be necessary to drill a new hole somewhere.

It seems like I looked at that bolt as a ground location when I was setting mine up, but decided not to use it. I could have sworn somewhere in Jeremy's instructions (or maybe a forum post somehwere...) it mentions not using existing body bolts for ground. I ended up drilling a hole next to that same bolt to ground the capacitor. I ground the metal down with a Dremel and then attached the ground wire with a new unplated bolt.

I know this has got to be frustrating you. Good luck.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The grounds on the resistors are only for the bulb out and hyperflash. Ive always used existing bolts/grounds withouy issue. Double and triple check connections. Im betting you have a pin pushed out or a plug not seating properly. Check the pins. Put flasher on and play with connections.

OP
OP
curryb15

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
Two things come to mind when I look at that. First - did you grind the paint off down to bare metal under that washer (I would also grind some of the plating off the washer itself). Two - Is that washer in any way resting on the insulation from those wires.

I just went out and tested that same bolt with my multimeter and it's not that great of a ground. It really depended on where the probe touched on whether I had a good ground (and on that washer in particular it sucked). Just because a body bolt attaches to metal doesn't always mean it's the best place to ground a wire. Often it's only the threads of the fastener allowing any ground. Between the paint and sometimes the plating on the fastener it won't give a consistent ground.

I would try running a jumper wire directly from the negative battery post and try the lights. If that works you KNOW the ground was bad. I would then work on finding a better spot. It might be necessary to drill a new hole somewhere.

It seems like I looked at that bolt as a ground location when I was setting mine up, but decided not to use it. I could have sworn somewhere in Jeremy's instructions (or maybe a forum post somehwere...) it mentions not using existing body bolts for ground. I ended up drilling a hole next to that same bolt to ground the capacitor. I ground the metal down with a Dremel and then attached the ground wire with a new unplated bolt.

I know this has got to be frustrating you. Good luck.

Thanks for the info this will be 2moros project I will be using self tappers to make my own grounds and sanding down to bare metal. I wasn't going to use a bolt I was going to use a self tapper

OP
OP
curryb15

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
Thanks for the info this will be 2moros project I will be using self tappers to make my own grounds and sanding down to bare metal. I wasn't going to use a bolt I was going to use a self tapper

So I want to thank everyone for there help! I found a nice mounting location and stripped the paint down to bare metal.... I was still having a issue with the passenger side blinker which I borrowed down to a loose wire in the harness I got from retro shops. When I touched the wire and moved it a little the blinker worked.
Also had a major setback today. I dropped my passenger side headlight house and it was destroyed [emoji35] along with it was the retroshop adapter that allowed the light to work was also destroyed as wires and pins broke all over the place. I was going to email retroshop and ask if I could get a new harness for the faulty one but now I guess I'm going to have to buy new as I can't send him back a harness in 20 peices. So I went back to my stock quads and have to order a replacement housing from rock auto