OPT7 tail gate lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Just finished up my install on the new OPT7 tail gate lighting. It's the new one which has full length LEDs, 3 separate bars with brake, running, sequential yellow turn signals and white reverse light. 3 bars of LEDs. It's said not to fit the 1500 but I got it to fit:)

Install wasn't bad, 2nd try around I removed the tailgate just alittle to make install easy. I flipped it wanting the brake to be on the top but then the signals were reversed lol. So I removed and installed correctly.

Install was a breeze as I got a curt plug adapter to the stock 7pin connector. So everything is plug and play and I don't have any exposed wires or plugs in the bumper covers/taps.

These are great quality and very very bright. You can see how my iPhone has to adjust for the brightness. This is a great product. I will go into detail later on how I installed. Cost is not for the faint of heart lol... prob $100-$105 total. But well worth it compared to the cheaper ones. This one unclips to easy removal.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1NTexXTqkbA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/1NTexXTqkbA

Attachments

• IMG_3815.jpg
    IMG_3815.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just finished up my install on the new OPT7 tail gate lighting. It's the new one which has full length LEDs, 3 separate bars with brake, running, sequential yellow turn signals and white reverse light. 3 bars of LEDs. It's said not to fit the 1500 but I got it to fit:)

Install wasn't bad, 2nd try around I removed the tailgate just alittle to make install easy. I flipped it wanting the brake to be on the top but then the signals were reversed lol. So I removed and installed correctly.

Install was a breeze as I got a curt plug adapter to the stock 7pin connector. So everything is plug and play and I don't have any exposed wires or plugs in the bumper covers/taps.

These are great quality and very very bright. You can see how my iPhone has to adjust for the brightness. This is a great product. I will go into detail later on how I installed. Cost is not for the faint of heart lol... prob $100-$105 total. But well worth it compared to the cheaper ones. This one unclips to easy removal.

Link doesn't work and no pics

Sent from hell via TapATalk

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Let's hope that fixed it lol. YouTube on my phone is annoying lol.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1NTexXTqkbA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Which one did you buy from Opt7?
I was looking at buying their tailgate light bar, but was concerned about the fact that it was a stick on LED strip (my bed has been line-X'd, so it is a rough surface back there) and that I would be covering up the hole under the tailgate that you need to have access too if you need to lower the spare tire.
You mention yours is a clip on...so I am curious.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Which one did you buy from Opt7?
I was looking at buying their tailgate light bar, but was concerned about the fact that it was a stick on LED strip (my bed has been line-X'd, so it is a rough surface back there) and that I would be covering up the hole under the tailgate that you need to have access too if you need to lower the spare tire.
You mention yours is a clip on...so I am curious.

My bed is line X'd too. The part that it sticks to is below the lineX depending on how far they do yours. The LED bar covers the tail gate access hole for the spare tire, I tried to install it but the plastic hole cover wouldn't let the bar sit flat. I removed the plastic cover which is just there to protect the paint if u need to get the spare out. I can clip it back on in under 15s if needed. But the bar lays flat and straight without it. 2.5 years and never needed the spare so... knock on wood!

This is the one I got. It's the redline triple OPT7. I got it during a sale so I got it for $70 instead of $80 and that was shipped.
http://www.opt-7.com/redline-triple-led-tailgate-light-bar-with-reverse-sequential-turn-signals/

It's a very nice bar, not the cheap ones you usually see. Plus it's in a black aluminum enclosure and soft silicone front. The aluminum frame had full length 3M double sided outdoor tape and then 4 clip on brackets with holes to drill through to mount it so it's removable. Instead of using screws I had some of the same 3M tape and put it on the brackets. The brackets are stuck to the truck and the bar clips in and out. The 3M tape is no joke, outdoor rated for 15lbs lol it's strong as hell. The bar is pretty light and the tape is overkill but that's how I like it. I'm going to post pics of the stuff I used to install next.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
My only gripe is that the sequential isn't in red lol but other than that the bar is very bright and top knotch. I use a lot of OPT7 LED lighting kits in my home and they are good quality and much brighter than the cheap stuff.

Ok, here are the 2 things I used to install the bar. The tape I had left over and the CURT trailer harness adapter. This thing is sweet, it fits between your stock plug and then plugs into the stock bumper, then it has a extension for a 4pin trailer plug which plugs into the LED bar. All made in the USA and great stuff. Plug and play with no cutting. The reverse light is the only external connection I had to make, I just tapped into the center port of the 7pin trailer plug on the CURT harness and was done. So now I have full access too all my trailer plugs in the bumper and the bar will still work, no cutting and no wiring mess as it's all behind the bumper and tucked out of the way.

CURT - 55384

Attachments

• IMG_3817.jpg
    IMG_3817.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 106

ramathorn1982

Reaction score
My only gripe is that the sequential isn't in red lol but other than that the bar is very bright and top knotch. I use a lot of OPT7 LED lighting kits in my home and they are good quality and much brighter than the cheap stuff.

Ok, here are the 2 things I used to install the bar. The tape I had left over and the CURT trailer harness adapter. This thing is sweet, it fits between your stock plug and then plugs into the stock bumper, then it has a extension for a 4pin trailer plug which plugs into the LED bar. All made in the USA and great stuff. Plug and play with no cutting. The reverse light is the only external connection I had to make, I just tapped into the center port of the 7pin trailer plug on the CURT harness and was done. So now I have full access too all my trailer plugs in the bumper and the bar will still work, no cutting and no wiring mess as it's all behind the bumper and tucked out of the way.

CURT - 55384
Where did you tap into for the functions?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

autos221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
can you show some pics how its wired? i have the tailgate lightbar sitting in the garage and i cant figure out how to wire it

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
My bed is line X'd too. The part that it sticks to is below the lineX depending on how far they do yours. The LED bar covers the tail gate access hole for the spare tire, I tried to install it but the plastic hole cover wouldn't let the bar sit flat. I removed the plastic cover which is just there to protect the paint if u need to get the spare out. I can clip it back on in under 15s if needed. But the bar lays flat and straight without it. 2.5 years and never needed the spare so... knock on wood!

This is the one I got. It's the redline triple OPT7. I got it during a sale so I got it for $70 instead of $80 and that was shipped.
Redline Triple LED Tailgate Light Bar with Reverse & Sequential Turn Signals - OPT7

It's a very nice bar, not the cheap ones you usually see. Plus it's in a black aluminum enclosure and soft silicone front. The aluminum frame had full length 3M double sided outdoor tape and then 4 clip on brackets with holes to drill through to mount it so it's removable. Instead of using screws I had some of the same 3M tape and put it on the brackets. The brackets are stuck to the truck and the bar clips in and out. The 3M tape is no joke, outdoor rated for 15lbs lol it's strong as hell. The bar is pretty light and the tape is overkill but that's how I like it. I'm going to post pics of the stuff I used to install next.

Thanks for the details.
My line-X was sprayed over the entire area where this light would stick too, but it sounds like with this tape, adhesion is not an issue.

Interesting that you say the light came with the clips to secure the light to the rear of the truck vs. using the double sided tape. I inquired with Opt7 a few months ago about the light and they suggested that some have obtained their own clips that were used so the light could be easily removed....wonder if they started including the clips now with the light!

ramathorn1982

Reaction score
Can you post a link to the exact product you bought (model #/length)? Did you use an adapter to wire them up?

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Where did you tap into for the functions?

I used the curt adapter in post 7 of this thread. It's plug and play and it comes pre wired for a 4pin trailer connector. U just plug the OPT7 plug (trailer 4 pin) into the curt trailer 4 pin and your done. The only external connection is the reverse lighting which they supply the wire. I tapped into the middle of the 7 pin connector which if you look on the bumper of the ram on the 7pin trailer plug cap you'll see the middle terminal is labeled R with a headlight icon. This stands for reverse light. Choose your tap of choice and connect into that. I decided to tap into the curt harness vs the stock wiring.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Can you post a link to the exact product you bought (model #/length)? Did you use an adapter to wire them up?

Look at post 7. I provided a pic of the adapter and the part #.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Here is a pic of them during the day.

Attachments

• IMG_3823.jpg
    IMG_3823.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Last edited:
OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Thanks for the details.
My line-X was sprayed over the entire area where this light would stick too, but it sounds like with this tape, adhesion is not an issue.

Interesting that you say the light came with the clips to secure the light to the rear of the truck vs. using the double sided tape. I inquired with Opt7 a few months ago about the light and they suggested that some have obtained their own clips that were used so the light could be easily removed....wonder if they started including the clips now with the light!

Missed about the clips. The clips are already installed on the back of the truck. They are about 1/2" wide and clip/huh the bar. They leave very little room to not clip in and they are in or not. They come with 1 hole as they are designed for drilling and mounting with a screw. I merely just covered the back with the 3M tape I posted. I'm able to clip in and out the bar and the tabs/brackets stay connected to the truck. They are very solid. The back of the bar is 90% covered in the same tape but they have 4 knotches for the clips. The clips will. It seat with the tape between it and the bar. So you have to remove it if you want the brackets in a different place.

They don't tell you it comes with brackets. I only knew it did bc of a review on amazon.

Last edited:

Ram-in-PA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
... The LED bar covers the tail gate access hole for the spare tire, I tried to install it but the plastic hole cover wouldn't let the bar sit flat. I removed the plastic cover which is just there to protect the paint if u need to get the spare out. I can clip it back on in under 15s if needed. But the bar lays flat and straight without it. 2.5 years and never needed the spare so... knock on wood!

Really want one of these, but not having access to the Spare tire port seems it could be an issue. I've only ever had to swap on a spare once, so its a very rare occurrence. But I'd hate to have to rip off these lights to get the spare off.

Any lights out there that clear that access port?