Sled deck lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PommyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997, 2016
Engine
hemi 5.9, cummins 6.7
Hello, I have a couple of electrical questions -

anyone seen a 6pin connection with this configuration? Its up front in my truck bed.

the trucks is a 2016 3500 Laramie. the chap i bought the truck from used it for his slide in camper so i presume it has something to do with that? the truck also has a 7pin trailer connection in the bed at the back (by the tail gate)

Im about to weld up a sled deck for it and want to have running lights, turn signals, winch and some bedlights for under the deck.

If i came off the 12v power pin on the 7pin trailer connection to a switch then onto the bed lights, am i right in thinking no power will b drawn with the switch off? I would be nice to do this for the winch too but I doubt it would have enough power to run the winch.

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 3.11.51 PM.png

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That 6 pin in the bed was probably for the slide in camper.
The +12V in the trailer 7-pin is fused right from the battery at 30 amps. That's plenty of power to run some LEDs or recharge the brake battery but not enough for a winch. You'll either want a battery on the trailer for the winch or need to run wiring big enough to handle the current from the truck battery

Scott S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the winch you can use the light power from the connector as a trigger for a relay. Then run a fused/ load protected cable from the battery to the rear through the relay. This would power up the winch only when the lights are active.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat