Oversized tire issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austin.mahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys so I have a 14 1500 hemi leveled and running on 35's with 3.21 gear ratio. I drove from Phoenix, AZ to Prescott, AZ yesterday and the truck started to whine when it would down shift when climbing. It sounded like it was coming from the drivers side of the engine bay. Also when it would downshift into 5th gear it would slam into gear. It felt like I got rear ended every time. Also my transmission shot up to almost 280 degrees. Has anyone else had any of the issues? I'm thinking I should drop down to a 33 inch tire since I can't find any upgraded gears for the front axle. Any advice?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like it's a 6 speed? I would be more concerned with the tranny/ Tq converter than the 35" tires. Check ur tranny fluid- make sure it's full, clean.. does it smelled burnt?
Yes 35"s do add more weight and stress- but more weight stress is added when towing- and lots of people who are running 35"s don't have issues and lots of people towing don't have issues. Some have had issues with the transmissions- 280 degrees sounds pretty damn hot to me- maybe start with a full tranny flush?

Last edited: