Powertrain issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Afarsid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi all,
For the past year, I’ve been having on and off problems with my powertrain- specifically the 4wd shifter doesn’t put my truck into any 4wd or towing mode.
When I first started having the issue, I was covered by the powertrain warranty and my dealer replaced the front differential actuator. It appeared to be fixed but I didn't test the 4wd for another 2 months at which point it didn’t work again. At that point, my truck was no longer under warranty and when I took it back to the dealer they said they’ll diagnose it but if the issue wasn’t due the same part they had previously replaced then they’ll charge me a diagnosis fee and any potential repair cost. So I dropped it off with them and at first they said the same part was the issue and replaced it, but apparently that didn’t fix it. So they diagnosed again and now they're telling me the issue is the transfer case actuator and will cost $963 on top of the $189 diagnosis fee. I’ve opened a case with Ram Cares and they’re offering to help me, but oddly the dealer is telling Ram Cares that’s it’s the transfer case "switch" that’s the problem (something different than what they told me)- I’m really having trouble trusting this dealership. They haven’t performed this 2nd repair yet, but another issue that popped up when I picked up my car from them is that the idle is sounding quite different. Can anyone give it a listen and tell me if you notice it too and what it could be?

This is a 2019 5.7L Ram 1500 Bighorn

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Afarsid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Its out of warranty now, but when I first started having issues it was under warranty (57k miles then, ~62k miles now). They technically replaced a part and were able to engage 4wd, but the fact that it stopped working soon after (especially when it was never really used/engaged subsequently) suggests to me that the problem wasn't truly resolved in the first place..

OP
OP
A

Afarsid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
thanks for your advice. Is Ram corporate distinct from Ram cares? Do you have a link for Ram corporate/customer service?