Raptor lining all my chrome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawki1cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my next project is going to be painting all my exterior chrome black using bed liner. The search function taught me the best diy kit is upol raptor liner. Seems pretty easy and will look amazing. I have a flame red '14 1500.

I plan to hit the bumpers, grill, and side steps. I wanna do the badges and door handles as well.

Anyone know if doing the badges and handles will turn out ok? I'm not sure how the texture will look on them.

I don't have fender flares but I plan to buy some and hit those too.

If all goes well, I'll do the rockers too.

My two big questions:
1) will the raptor liner screw up my parking sensors on the front and rear bumpers?
2) does anyone have any first hand experience with this stuff that can speak to the long term durability? I definitely don't want it chipping, peeling, or fading.

Thanks!!

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
you wouldn't coat the sensors ???

As far as warranty, you need to get the shop to put it in writing

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm interested to see if you do end up going through with it. Would like to know how easy it is to keep clean as well.

OP
OP
Hawki1cr

Hawki1cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will be doing this myself. No shop involved.

Because the bed liner is thick, I'm afraid it will cause the sensors to malfunction. From my experience, a thin layer of ice will cause them to go off.

kayakersteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It won't affect sensors as long as you don't apply it to the little windows

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Curious to see how it turns out as I have thought about doing this as well.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All the different DIY bed liners I've ever used seem to fade pretty quickly compared to my Line X stuff.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
they key to it holding up is how well you prep the surface. the plastic parts shouldnt be a big deal, its the chrome bumpers that might be a pain.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Good luck trying to clean it after a year

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I've used almost every DIY bedliner from Hercucrap to SEM...

That Raptor kit is really nice.

I did a few bumpers, rocker panels in my day with that stuff.. heck even beds.. stuff is great!

I roughed up the chrome bumpers with a flap wheel I believe 80 grit and a grinder. You got to be careful cause you can dig into the metal, but with the liner, it should smooth it out.

once you are done with the coats and are happy with the thickness.. my experinece and trick for you is to step back a bit and somewhat 'mist' the liner over the entire piece. This will ELIMINATE any of the uneven spots and reduce the shiny spots you may have.. stepping back and going over the entire piece from a distance twice of what you sprayed almost will even the texture and coat.. making it look like one large beautiful piece.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Herculiner was shiny as in it looked wet all the time...then it sat out in the Arizona sun for 3 months straight and now looks like the matte look of line-X.

Go figure.