Stubby antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I hate the radio tower stickin out of my hood.

I hear mixed reviews....bad reception and what not.

They're like $20....what do you guys think?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I ran a few different stubbies on my last truck, they all had **** reception. Barbed wire got the best of the last one so I mounted a 42" whip on my tool box and could pick up stations that were in Houston when I was 4 hours away.

If you feel you just can't resist the mod, then go for it. I personally think that they are all junk and hate the look of them now.

johniew398

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was going to replace my antenna but after reading numerous reviews on the stubby antennas I decided not to. I occasionally want to listen to FM and the majority of owners say the stubby antennas normally have bad reception.

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can definetly live with the oem ant.....it just annoys me how tall it is.

Doesn't go with my truck theme lol

I've been debating back n forth for months if I should try one but haven't pulled the trigger because all the cons vs the pros I've heard.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
If you get some way get you one of those 2" round antennas that are on the trunks of patrol cars then that would be ideal. You could shave the antenna all together.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can definetly live with the oem ant.....it just annoys me how tall it is.

Doesn't go with my truck theme lol

I've been debating back n forth for months if I should try one but haven't pulled the trigger because all the cons vs the pros I've heard.

Being slightly lifted I would have thought youd embrace the stock OE aerial? After I learned its actually a height guide that scrapes the roof of low buildings before your roof does HAHAH:roflsquared:

KPietriyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 30" two-way antenna mounted in the center of the roof, there's just some places it won't fit. Had to take it off while on vacation this year, getting to our parking spot in the condo required driving through the garage under the whole building to get outside to the parking area. Serious pain in the ass, had maybe 2" of clearance, and would have hit the sprinkler heads in the garage, which would be expensive. I carry a rain cap for the antenna mount. I also have a mount for an HF antenna in the bed, those antennas are anywhere from 6' to 10' tall when mounted and tuned.

No magic antennas, they need to be a certain length or they don't work. There are ways to shorten them, but it's always a compromise.

The "stealth" antennas on police cars are for 800 MHz, the antenna only needs to be a couple inches long anyway. They do make them for lower frequencies, but they're complete ****. And expensive ****, at that.

I use my FM radio constantly, been thinking of getting a better antenna, since the station I listen to doesn't come in for a good 20 minutes of my commute.

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Being slightly lifted I would have thought youd embrace the stock OE aerial? After I learned its actually a height guide that scrapes the roof of low buildings before your roof does HAHAH:roflsquared:

My antenna has saved me going through the parking garage at the airport when I first got mine. It hit the "warning log" they put to let you know low clearance. I promptly threw her in reverse and found a parking area outside. Ever since then, I'm thankful for the OEM antenna.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the stubby for all about 20 minutes and sent it back. Crap reception. I live in a highly densely populated area too, there is no reason to get poor signal. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a short rubber one, almost as good as stock, still not perfect but look 1000% better. Only thing I don't like is it is very soft so it moves a lot in the wind. I am going to try similar options in the future. Sound wise the only problem I have is when I am in a parking garage, which I thought was weird.

Blakemuis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had a stubby bullet antenna on my truck for a while with no issues. Paid 35 bucks I think? I'll post a picture in a minute. Never lose signal. Never gets static.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have no issues with mine but if you go too short I believe thats when you run into issues!

Reo Cook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I've got the Craven 50 cal antenna and it does very well for me in Houston. As I start to leave the outer edges of the city it may give out a little but I'm usually rocking Bluetooth anyway

And you can't beat the look. Get lots of complements and WTF looks too

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I had a cheap 3" plastic one and it was horrible.

I have a 10" metal and it's fine. I don't listen to the radio much anyways but my reception is not the greatest but for some reason even with the stock antenna it was not good. Think it's more my area.

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
My reception isn't bad but I use satellite anyways so it doesn't matter to me.

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a cheap 3" plastic one and it was horrible.

I have a 10" metal and it's fine. .

So the 10" worked decently? Gotta be able to hear the morning show on 98kupd:naughty:

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a short rubber one, almost as good as stock, still not perfect but look 1000% better. Only thing I don't like is it is very soft so it moves a lot in the wind.

Reception decent? You got a pic?

Why So Serious?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had horrible reception with the 13" antenna x for my wrangler. I ordered a steadfast steel one this time around for the ram but I haven't tried it out yet.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the 10" worked decently? Gotta be able to hear the morning show on 98kupd:naughty:

Reception decent? You got a pic?

Reception is good everywhere but my parking garage at work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

Pit Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had horrible reception with the 13" antenna x for my wrangler. I ordered a steadfast steel one this time around for the ram but I haven't tried it out yet.

I have the 13" antenna X for my ram and I have no issues with AM/FM.. I also had it on my Wrangler too.

haha sorry for giving you mixed reviews.

Pit Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's a pic of the 13" Antenna X

Attachments

• 20150913_111940.jpg
    20150913_111940.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 188