TYC Projectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently got TYC projectors for my truck. The truck came stock with chrome quads, which I promptly switched out for the black quads. However, that didn't do anything for improving the light output. I mainly did it because I have a dark truck and the chrome lights looked out of place.

In order to get more light the first thing I tried was fitting H9 bulbs in the quads. It was a definite improvement in light output, but the lights still had the yellow halogen color. Next I tried LED's and I really liked the light quality (brighter and whiter), but they didn't throw as far as the halogen IMO. They were fine around town, not so great in the country.

I really wanted to go with HID's and projectors. My son had some of Jeremy's retrofitted lights in his 2nd gen and they were awesome. I emailed Jeremy a couple of times trying to decide whether to retrofit my quads or go with the TYC projectors. He said it was a toss up on light quality with a slight edge to the MH1's. I decided to go the TYC route, it was gonna be a cheaper option than the retrofit and I like the look of the lights.

I got the lights through Rock Auto and the adapters and HID kit from Jeremy. The first thing I had to deal with was where to mount all the damn resistors. There are four total per side. Two with the projector harness and two for the HID's. I checked out numerous threads to see where people had mounted them, but decided to do things a little different.

I got some 2"x3" aluminum tube and mounted the resistors to that and then mounted the tubes to the posts that hang down from the frame where the tow hooks bolt. I had to make extensions for the wiring, but that was easy enough. I figured that using this mounting method would put the resistors in a less cramped area as well as isolating them from contact with anything that would be a problem for the heat they generate.

picture.php

picture.php

They install of the lights was pretty straight forward. The wiring for the HID's was all labeled and basically plug and play. I'm happy with the new lights. The output is awesome compared to stock. They throw the light way further than I was expecting and the cutoff is very sharp. Maybe not quite as good as the MH1's, but good enough for me.

picture.php

Don't mind the weird dark spots on the driveway. The snow cover wasn't even on the concrete.

My advice (FWIW) to anyone with the quads that's dissatisfied with the light output; go with projectors and HID's. I know it's an expensive option compared to some of the other choices, but worth it in the long run. As I stated before, I've tried brighter bulbs and LED's and nothing compares to the HID's. Also, I've had no issues so far with the HID's in my 2015. No flickering, no shutting off, no bulb out errors.

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the write up. Light ouput looks a lot better. Plan on doing this soon.

naumaa1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the same thing as you, way better than the quads

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Very good,very neat job what you did with the aluminum.I was thinking leds but now I think I will go this route.Thanks dude.
I'm definitely going this route,Who is Jeremy?Could you post a photo of your lights fitted.
I went to rock auto but don't see any dark tyc.Do they only come chrome?

Last edited:

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Nice job. I also like your use of the aluminum tubing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very good,very neat job what you did with the aluminum.I was thinking leds but now I think I will go this route.Thanks dude.
I'm definitely going this route,Who is Jeremy?Could you post a photo of your lights fitted.
I went to rock auto but don't see any dark tyc.Do they only come chrome?

Jeremy is Retroshop. Find him here: Retro Shop Online Store

The lights you are looking for in black are these part numbers: TYC 20939290 and TYC 20939190. You can either search the part number or look under the 2013 Ram section. Don't worry they'll fit any 4th gen.

Trust me, you'll be much happier with HID's than LED's.

ShirtPants!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ordered mine last night and the HID's to go with them, can't wait to get them! I did watch Jeremy's video with the FX-R retrofit that he did with his and I'm pretty sure I will be doing the same with mine.