Vibration issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMthevbied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Recently purchased and installed a set of Moto Metal 970 20x9 0 offset on 35x12.5 Cooper ST Maxx wheels. The combo is awesome looking and the fit is perfect. The truck sits with @ 2.8 with bils on all four corners. No rubbing or trimming was necessary with this setup. After install i test drive and noticed a steering wheel shake/vibration at 50 mph. Took it to a shop and had to rebalance. Took quite a bit to balance out properly. My question, concerns the use of hub centric rings. I was told that my wheels were hub centric, however i can't verify that anywhere. The wheel bore is 78.3 and our trucks hub bore is 77.8. First, are rings necessary for my specific application? Second, i've read that bc of the small difference in bore size between hub and wheel, that i could remove the lock-type washer that holds the rotor onto the stud of each wheel and this will help with balancing and centering the wheel? Any and all help would be great. Thanks

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Well I have the Moto metal in 20x9 with 285/65/20 so 34.7" tall, but I'm 2WD, and didn't use any rings.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't have Moto Metal's but I did put on a set of Fuel's and did not use rings either. They were balanced from the place I purchased them from and have performed perfectly.

Adam

OP
OP
R

RAMthevbied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tires are new as well as the wheels. These were purchased as a package. I installed them less than 24 hours ago. After having them re-balanced (not sure of the method) the vibration only occurs at highway speeds and is minimal, but still annoying. Curious if the rings will fix this, or is roadforce balancing the key. Not too experienced with this obviously.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
You are not going to find 0.5mm hub rings. That's not your problem.

You might need to get them re-balanced. These trucks are picky about that.

Last edited: