Wind noise from driver door at 65+ MPH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iRamYou

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I took my truck on its first lengthy highway trip and could hear a noticeable wind noise from the driver side door at speeds of 65+ MPH. It sounds like wind is finding its way in between the door and frame or in between the seal. The weather seal looks good and the window seems to be closing fully/normally. Any thoughts on what it could be or ideas to try in order to fix it. The passenger side does not make the same noise, so I know it is not just "normal" road noise at speed.

The good news is 90-95% of my driving is below 65 MPH, but I still want to get it fixed. If I have to I will go to the dealership, but I would prefer to fix it on my own if possible.

Thanks.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine does it even slower but i think it's the mirror. either way the cheapest and easiest solution is to turn the radio up

OP
OP
I

iRamYou

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7L HEMI
mine does it even slower but i think it's the mirror. either way the cheapest and easiest solution is to turn the radio up

Update:

Went golfing at a course that is about 30 minutes away on the highway. On the way there, no wind noise. However, on the way back, the wind noise started again. I used the power fold mirrors to fold the mirrors in and the noise stopped.

Now I need to figure out if it is the mirror itself or if the wind pressure on the mirror is causing the door to pull away from the frame the smallest amount and as a result causing the noise.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe try putting blue painters tape in certain spots over the gaps in the mirror to try and pinpoint the noise.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this problem near the passenger side C pillar - it's a lot worse when there's cross wind. My problem will manifest as low as 35 mph, though.

It's on my list to get some compressed air and have my wife spray it at various areas of the C pillar weather stripping to see we can find the offending point.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm having this issue too on the highway, but mine's on the passenger side. It's very annoying. I can turn the radio up to drown out the sound, but if the wife is riding along, that doesn't help her any. I haven't thought about the mirrors... I might try that next time I'm in it.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Mine is pretty quiet but when a vehicle passes me I can hear the noise change as it moves forward. There appears to be inner and outer seals. Much better than older years overall. Seal might possibly be deformed.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
try having a camper and doing 65.you think yours is loud? turn up the tunes and get used to it.