Wiper speak help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everybody,

First post here. I recently bought a 2017 ram 1500 sport which is my first new car and first Mopar. I did some searching with no results, I'm having an issue with squeaky wipers.

After some testing, my wipers squeak only when the windshield is wet. This was not happening when I first got the truck but started recently. The truck is 3 months old and only has 2k miles. Whenever I run the wipers when the windshield is wet, I hear squeaking. This happens during rain or when I use the washer fluid. It does not happen on a dry windshield.

I bought new blades thinking some ice ripped the oem blades but there was no change with the new ones. I tried bending the wiper arms a bit which did not change anything.

It's been raining a lot here and it's driving me crazy. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? Im driving to avoid leaving it with the dealer as it is my daily.

I believe the problem is the wiper blades themselves (or something related) and not the motor or operating mechanism.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Paul

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Don't use them when its wet out.

Seriously though, If you've changed the blades, lift the wiper arms, turn the wipers on and see if the noise goes away. If not, it's in the mechanism. If it does, you could try cleaning the windshield.

OP
OP
B

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did not try with the wiper blades not touching the glass but the sound does not happen when the windshield is dry.

Windshield is spotless with no chips or damage visible.

Could this be from the arms not being positioned correctly? Oem blades and brand new Michelins both make noise.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just because the windshield looks clean doesn't mean it can't have a film on it. I think you've probably eliminated the wiper blades themselves... the only things left are a mechanical squeak from the linkage, (test as above), a dirty windshield, or possibly, incorrect tension on the wiper arms, (you can adjust the spring tension).

OP
OP
B

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think its the linkage as running them dry results in no sound. Then I spray washer fluid and there is a squeak. After it dries and I run the wipers again no squeak.

I've cleaned the windshield and dont see anything that would cause an issue. I will try again tomorrow just in case.

How do you adjust the tension? I've seen the spring but I did not look at it carefully to see if it was adjustable. I'm thinking this may be the issue.

Every other car I've owned only made a squeaking sound when the blades were shot so I've never had to look into other issue.

Thank you for you responses so far.

Last edited:

Mugster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try cleaning the windshield with 0000 steel wool. It may sound crazy but the 0000 steel wool is softer than your glass and will not scratch it. It will however clean off water spots and bug parts that wiper fluid will not. Lots of videos on YouTube about it.

https://youtu.be/D05vX-G9iV4

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try a clay bar to clean it.
Jay