Annoying Rattle Fixed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will start off by saying DO NOT turn down your radio and try to listen for this noise because it will drive you crazy once you hear it. But then again I have done the leg work and found a small but noticable metal on metal noise coming from the right side of my Express so maybe you all should listen for it.

So a few months ago I added the upper glove box to my Express and I love it. So a few weeks ago I start to hear the noise. Well this weekend I pull out the glovebox and find that the small screw (which you have to take the lower glove box out to see) has a metal washer built in so when the truck bounces it can rattle. So what is the fix. Unscrew it, then put a few pieces of electrical tape around the hole from both sides and then poke a hole through the tape and put the screw back in. No more noise. Hope this helps. If anyone needs it I have posted the DIY on the upper glove box instal in the DIY section.

Todd

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Nice. Good to know

Sent from DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I will start off by saying DO NOT turn down your radio and try to listen for this noise because it will drive you crazy once you hear it. But then again I have done the leg work and found a small but noticable metal on metal noise coming from the right side of my Express so maybe you all should listen for it.

So a few months ago I added the upper glove box to my Express and I love it. So a few weeks ago I start to hear the noise. Well this weekend I pull out the glovebox and find that the small screw (which you have to take the lower glove box out to see) has a metal washer built in so when the truck bounces it can rattle. So what is the fix. Unscrew it, then put a few pieces of electrical tape around the hole from both sides and then poke a hole through the tape and put the screw back in. No more noise. Hope this helps. If anyone needs it I have posted the DIY on the upper glove box instal in the DIY section.

Todd

This is really good info. When I read the title of this thread I was really hoping that you had a solution for the rattle coming from the factory supplied step bar. I have had the dealer look at it twice already. Tightening the bolts does not seem enough to make it stop. It is driving me crazy!!!

OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is really good info. When I read the title of this thread I was really hoping that you had a solution for the rattle coming from the factory supplied step bar. I have had the dealer look at it twice already. Tightening the bolts does not seem enough to make it stop. It is driving me crazy!!!

Could it be that it's not actually coming from the step bar?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
If it is coming from the step bar get some rubber spacers or grommets and place them in between where you think the rattle is coming from

Sent from DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If it is coming from the step bar get some rubber spacers or grommets and place them in between where you think the rattle is coming from

That's what I was thinking. Going to take it off next weekend and see what my options are.

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Come to think of it, I might have this problem in my 3rd gen. I have a rattle that comes and goes from the right side of my truck, mainly when Im going over bumpy terrain and I have no idea where it's been coming from. This might be the solution

OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in the process of hunting down another noise. I'll keep you guys informed

Dale_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just joined the forum today and I also have an Express without the upper glovebox. How do you add it? Do you have a link that explains it?

OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problem

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
we're changing your name to "RATTLE HUNTER"..... i'm sure someone could come up with a good pic/sig for your profile :)

thanks for the info bud, I'll be looking to see if I can fix my rattle. mine has to do with the steering column i believe. when I'm driving on the highway, sometimes it'll rattle, but if I push up slightly on the steering wheel it'll stop.... not sure what the heck it is....

OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
we're changing your name to "RATTLE HUNTER"..... i'm sure someone could come up with a good pic/sig for your profile :)

thanks for the info bud, I'll be looking to see if I can fix my rattle. mine has to do with the steering column i believe. when I'm driving on the highway, sometimes it'll rattle, but if I push up slightly on the steering wheel it'll stop.... not sure what the heck it is....

Hmmm thats a good one. Weird though. Maybe something in the steering column itself or possibly just some trim pieces too close??

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
not sure... i don't see any trim pieces that are close

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine has a rattle on the console shifter i have to hold it back to make it stop

OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
not sure... i don't see any trim pieces that are close

See if you can make it make the noise by pushing on the stearing column back and forth lightly. If that is the case then at least you can take it to the stealership and give them an idea of where to start looking

OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has a rattle on the console shifter i have to hold it back to make it stop

I would just see if anything is lose first or if there is metal on metal or plastic on plastic contact depending on the noise you are hearing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007