Fuel Gauge for 2500 31 Gallon Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevinc32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just picked up a new 2500 that has a 31 gallon fuel tank. I filled the tank when I bought and ran it down to when the low fuel light came on. When I filled the tank it only took 22 gallons. I just did the same thing and now it took 21 gallons. I called the dealer to see if there was an issue with the gauge but the service rep explained that the gauge was only supposed to track 26 gallons, and that the other 5 gallons was a reserve and it wasn't meant to be tracked.

I had a 32 gallon tank on an old truck and the gauge tracked all of the fuel. Does this sound right to anyone else, or am I right in thinking this guy is full of poo?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like BS to me. I haven't run mine down that far, yet, but will have the chance this week. I'll see what mine does when I get below 1/4 tank.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just filled mine up for the second time. Fuel gauge was pegged below "E" and it only took 25.5 gallons. So I guess we effectively only have a 26 gallon tank if there's no way to monitor the other 5.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's is another thread on here that someone posted that Ram has had a lot of complaints. I think there was possibly gonna be a software flash to recalibrate the fuel gauge for the bigger tanks.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Still don't know why this bothers so many people....that 5 gallons will only get you 60-70 more miles.....just fill it up :roflsquared:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Still don't know why this bothers so many people....that 5 gallons will only get you 60-70 more miles.....just fill it up :roflsquared:

You do realize there are people with different driving habits, right? You got people that like to stay on empty, and put $5 in a day, or people like me who fill up and like to get longer range. If I'm being told my vehicle is coming with a 31 gallon tank, then I should be able to reasonably expect the fuel gauge to reflect that, and not just brush it off as "oh well, I guess I'll just fill up more often"

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
You do realize there are people with different driving habits, right? You got people that like to stay on empty, and put $5 in a day, or people like me who fill up and like to get longer range. If I'm being told my vehicle is coming with a 31 gallon tank, then I should be able to reasonably expect the fuel gauge to reflect that, and not just brush it off as "oh well, I guess I'll just fill up more often"

In that case, pony up for a titan tank to maximize your range :naughty:

The 5 gallons is 60-70 miles and a shade under $12....big whoop says I. I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it, but ya'll are welcome to :roflsquared:

This is not a new problem, my '11 does it.

Last edited:

MEchase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I usually run mine down and fill around 28 gallons. I once took it a bit over 30 gallons. I agree with you, there is a 31 gallon tank and you should be able to use it as such. If you can't reasonably obtain an accurate fuel level, you will NEVER encroach on that 5 additional gallons. Those 5 gallons may not mean much unloaded and driving on the interstate, but it could mean a great deal when getting 10 mpg. If you can't read those additional 5 gallons, what's the point in even having them? They most certainly are not useful at that point.

MEchase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it was a strange but simple fix. On the recommendation of the dealers service manager, I put a 5 gal gas can in the back and drove it until it ran out. After filling the tank again I drove it until the low fuel light came on. This time it took 25.5 gallons and showed I had 68 miles to go until empty. Apparently the gauge needed re calibrated.
It wasn't the most convenient fix but it worked.
This is how I read the above:

"I put a 5 gal gas can in the bed and drove the truck until it ran out of fuel. I put the 5 gallons in after stalling the engine to make it to a gas station. After filling the tank again I drove it until the low fuel light came on."

That doesn't sound right to me. How am I misinterpreting what you wrote?

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Plenty of resources out there explaining why it is. They do it cause the fuel keeps the fuel pump cool, run it to low and it could burn it up. So it only measures a certain amount on the gauge so you don't risk burning it up. What's the big deal anyway, at least it's not like some German cars that will literally shut off if your ride the Empty light despite having 8 gallons left.

Am3gross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
i fill mine up at 1/4 tank, thats just me...

but....

that extra 5 gallons or so could change my 10 mpg's to possibly 11 mpg's, LOL!

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just filled mine up for the second time. Fuel gauge was pegged below "E" and it only took 25.5 gallons. So I guess we effectively only have a 26 gallon tank if there's no way to monitor the other 5.

Dang, I'm not happy to see this issue here. This is the exact issue on the new Ford CCSB trucks. They say they come with a 34, but do exactly as you describe. I've gone 10 miles past empty and only put in 29. With the new Fords, the 48 gallon tank guys aren't having this issue. It's just another one of my gripes with the new truck, I wish Ram wasn't the same. I've never had this problem with any truck in the past.