Same fuel tank issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I've been seeing various fuel tank threads about filling problems, but most of them seem to be that the faulty vent makes it shut off well before it's full, and you have to fill it slowly to overcome that. Mine has started something where it fills, but when it shuts off it's just a hair below full, though once it stopped and the gauge read 7/8ths. I can hear the fuel coming up up the neck just before it stops. If I do the taboo thing and fill it some more then I can get the gauge up to the full mark. Is it the same vent problem? It just hit 38,000 miles today, just a tad out of warranty.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you can hear the fuel coming up the neck right before it shuts off, then your tank is full. If you gauge still doesn't read "Full", then it's a gauge problem not a filler/tank problem.

GrantOv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just to provide some input to help others - I had the filling issue all winter long. Very, very slow fills in the bitter MN winter. I was pissed and almost followed dealer recommendation of updating the tank but then heard that this didn't always solve the issue. Then come late March with some mid 50's temps and overnight my problem just disappeared! I've now filled it up like 10 times at the same stations and pumps full bore. Zero issues to report.

I don't understand the mechanics of the vent tube completely but I'm guessing condensation froze and plugged this up. I'm wondering how many RAMs that were having problems, still have problems in the warmer months? And if they also park their vehicles outside year round - even in the colder weather. Just trying to line up some correlation to what I seen with my vehicle.

Also - the reason I ask is that I'm willing to bet I see this next winter since I did nothing to change the situation.