Headrests!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is up with the ginormous back seat head rests? While I'm sure the safety nazis love them, and they would protect rear seat passengers from whiplash if rear ended, they totally block the view out the back window. Since I rarely have back seat passengers any more, the first thing I did was remove them. Ahhhh, much better.

But now I'd like to have a shorter headrest there instead, both to cover the mechanism holes, but also so that rear seat passengers have the option of using them. Ideal would be a little stubby one like is in the middle seat, but I doubt anyone makes them. And no, the middle seat one won't work on the sides, the posts are too close together.

It looks like the rear seat headrests from prior generation Rams are shorter and might well work. Does anyone have a 1-3rd gen Ram with back seat headrests AND a 4th gen Ram, that they could try the older back seat headrests in the 4th gen? Once I know if it fits I can find them online.

Finally, one other head-resty note for y'all: The front seat headrests in my 2014 were driving me nuts because they have such a severe forward cant. So much so it forced my head forward and was very uncomfortable. Got to looking at the rear seat headrests I'd removed shortly after getting my truck, and discovered they fit perfectly in the front seats, have a much less severe cant, and look like they belong there. ****! Problem solved, and I still have whiplash protection. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Don't know if it's an early 4th Gen thing or a Sport thing, but my truck doesn't have the gigantic headrests. They're about half of what the new trucks have. Might have better luck getting them in than a 2nd or 3rd Gen headrest. I'll try and get a pic in a few when I take a break.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Here they are. This is in my 2010 Sport Quad Cab. :)

Attachments

• 20140319_141327_LLS.jpg
    20140319_141327_LLS.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 326
OP
OP
O

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here they are. This is in my 2010 Sport Quad Cab. :)
Sweet, they do indeed look about half the height of the 4th gen ones. Anyone you know have a 4th gen you could try and see if your 3rd gen head rests would fit in the 4th gen?

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sweet, they do indeed look about half the height of the 4th gen ones. Anyone you know have a 4th gen you could try and see if your 3rd gen head rests would fit in the 4th gen?

My truck is 4th Gen, 2010. 4th Gen = 2009 - current.

I don't know if they'll go in any of the later model 4th Gens though. Don't know anyone with a 2012+.

Maybe someone can chime in that knows more about the interior.

OP
OP
O

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck is 4th Gen, 2010. 4th Gen = 2009 - current.

I don't know if they'll go in any of the later model 4th Gens though. Don't know anyone with a 2012+.

Maybe someone can chime in that knows more about the interior.
D'oh. Figured it was 3rd. Teach me to make assumptions, LOL.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think it's a 2012 and up thing. That or maybe it's a package thing, like QC's get the shorter ones and CC get the taller ones. I think it's a year thing though.

Give it time, maybe someone will know more.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2011 quad cab has the tall ones. Doesn't really bother me though. I can still see in the rearview mirror because the center has a tiny short one. In the past I had a couple trucks with caps and you can only see well in the center anyway.

Ray

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
They switched to the larger headrests in 2011. I'm hoping the 09-10 will work because I do not like these larger headrests either. I was actually looking to replace mine when I add the leather seats in a few weeks.

Reaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is up with the ginormous back seat head rests? While I'm sure the safety nazis love them, and they would protect rear seat passengers from whiplash if rear ended, they totally block the view out the back window. Since I rarely have back seat passengers any more, the first thing I did was remove them. Ahhhh, much better.

But now I'd like to have a shorter headrest there instead, both to cover the mechanism holes, but also so that rear seat passengers have the option of using them. Ideal would be a little stubby one like is in the middle seat, but I doubt anyone makes them. And no, the middle seat one won't work on the sides, the posts are too close together.

It looks like the rear seat headrests from prior generation Rams are shorter and might well work. Does anyone have a 1-3rd gen Ram with back seat headrests AND a 4th gen Ram, that they could try the older back seat headrests in the 4th gen? Once I know if it fits I can find them online.

Finally, one other head-resty note for y'all: The front seat headrests in my 2014 were driving me nuts because they have such a severe forward cant. So much so it forced my head forward and was very uncomfortable. Got to looking at the rear seat headrests I'd removed shortly after getting my truck, and discovered they fit perfectly in the front seats, have a much less severe cant, and look like they belong there. ****! Problem solved, and I still have whiplash protection. Hope this helps someone.

How did you remove the rear seat headrests? I've pulled up on mine, pushed that button in. Tried pulling the button out...I'm a ***** by no means, but I don't want to break them....especially if the fit the front seats.

Quigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I yanked mine out as well, like Reaper mine were had to get out the first time. My dad has a 3rd Gen with the stubby headrests I'll check to see if his fit in my 2012 when I'm up there next weekend.

OP
OP
O

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How did you remove the rear seat headrests? I've pulled up on mine, pushed that button in. Tried pulling the button out...I'm a ***** by no means, but I don't want to break them....especially if the fit the front seats.
Just takes a good hard push, on the right angle. Mine was stiff but I got it done. So much better visibility without them!

Unfortunately the headrests I got from a 3rd gen did not fit, so I'm back to leaving them off completely.

Reaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright I'll not be so kind tonight, just didn't want it to snap off in my hands. Wasn't sure if there was a trick or "pry here with a screwdriver" kinda thing.
I appreciate it, it'll be nice to get those outta the back window.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The rear seat headrests come right out. Get it in the highest positition, push in the button and pull out.

On mine, I had to lift the seat bottom to angle the seat back forward a touch for them to clear the headliner.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
There is a button on both sides. The one on the left side is kind of recessed.

Reaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a button on both sides. The one on the left side is kind of recessed.

That's it! I never saw the button on the other post. Back headrests are off, woohoo! Thank you.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
LOL. You're welcome.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
Looks like I'll be swapping to the 2010 versions in my new truck ASAP. Those things are ridiculously large.