5th Gen HD Head Restraint in a 4th Gen Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, if you own a 4th Gen Ram Pickup, you will know how uncomfortable the front head restraint is, I recently have been researching how to fix this problem and there is a few options.

First of all, there is a trick of turning the head restraint backwards and getting rid of the painful angle it’s on, I tried this but feels like it’s TOO far back since it is in such a awful angle, plus it looks weird and ugly so I said no to that.

There is also another way, which is swapping the rear head restraint to the front seat, this is also another way but again, looks very ugly, also I’m a pretty tall guy, so it’s uncomfortable since you can’t adjust it up like the regular head restraints, basically both of these have a safety hazard and it’s just calling for an injury, so no thank you.

Also just to clear things out, it’s not called a headrest, it’s called a head restraint, it’s not there for you to rest your head, it’s there to save your life from an accident.

Now to the point of this thread, the 5th Gen Ram 1500s have been fully redesigned, the body, powertrain, features, and more. The 5th Gen Ram 1500s seats were completely redesigned, adding on a couple other features such as rear ventilated seats, adjustable height for the passenger seat, adjustable up and down head restraint, and more. The head restraints insert rods on the 5th Gen Ram 1500s have a different design, so the 2 insert rods go out further than the previous ones.

The 5th Gen Ram HDs have been slightly redesigned, which a lot of people noticed. The 5th Gen Ram HDs use the previous chassis, powertrain, cab, and more. The seats on the 5th Gen Ram HDs use the same seats from the 4th Gen Rams, the only thing that was changed is some of the wiring and the head restraint, but since it uses the same seats as the previous generation, it actually uses the same insert rod design, meaning that it will fit on a 4th Gen seat, but of course it also has the adjustable up and down feature like the 5th Gen Ram 1500s.

Also, the adjustable up and down feature is how much you want it tilted, so that’s exactly why I want to try it out, plus it will look cool too! What do you guys think about this? I’ll keep you updated on what happens next.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi, if you own a 4th Gen Ram Pickup, you will know how uncomfortable the front head restraint is, I recently have been researching how to fix this problem and there is a few options.

First of all, there is a trick of turning the head restraint backwards and getting rid of the painful angle it’s on, I tried this but feels like it’s TOO far back since it is in such a awful angle, plus it looks weird and ugly so I said no to that.

There is also another way, which is swapping the rear head restraint to the front seat, this is also another way but again, looks very ugly, also I’m a pretty tall guy, so it’s uncomfortable since you can’t adjust it up like the regular head restraints, basically both of these have a safety hazard and it’s just calling for an injury, so no thank you.

Also just to clear things out, it’s not called a headrest, it’s called a head restraint, it’s not there for you to rest your head, it’s there to save your life from an accident.

Now to the point of this thread, the 5th Gen Ram 1500s have been fully redesigned, the body, powertrain, features, and more. The 5th Gen Ram 1500s seats were completely redesigned, adding on a couple other features such as rear ventilated seats, adjustable height for the passenger seat, adjustable up and down head restraint, and more. The head restraints insert rods on the 5th Gen Ram 1500s have a different design, so the 2 insert rods go out further than the previous ones.

The 5th Gen Ram HDs have been slightly redesigned, which a lot of people noticed. The 5th Gen Ram HDs use the previous chassis, powertrain, cab, and more. The seats on the 5th Gen Ram HDs use the same seats from the 4th Gen Rams, the only thing that was changed is some of the wiring and the head restraint, but since it uses the same seats as the previous generation, it actually uses the same insert rod design, meaning that it will fit on a 4th Gen seat, but of course it also has the adjustable up and down feature like the 5th Gen Ram 1500s.

Also, the adjustable up and down feature is how much you want it tilted, so that’s exactly why I want to try it out, plus it will look cool too! What do you guys think about this? I’ll keep you updated on what happens next.
Pictures or it didn't happen!

OP
OP
RyanDavidPonter
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

UPDATE: The head restraint came in today, came very safely packaged, came out of a 2020 Ram 2500 Limited.

Took out the old original 4th Gen head restraint and put in the new 5th Gen 2500 head restraint, it fitted PERFECTLY, works great, and so much more comfortable.

They changed up the foam or something inside the new trucks because it’s so much more softer and feels like an actual pillow, anyways I ABSOLUTELY love it, I just ordered a second one so I will give you guys an update.

What did we learn today, 5th Gen HD head restraints indeed fit in a 4th Gen Ram Pickup!

Here is photos, looks good!!

Attachments

• IMG_2135.jpeg
    IMG_2135.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2136.jpeg
    IMG_2136.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 35

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to know. But can you now tilt your head back to drink a bottle of water? That was the biggest reason I moved my rear headrest to the driver's seat. Plus, the back of the brim of my cowboy hats was hitting the top of it. That wasn't as much of a problem because I hardly wear my hat in the truck since the freakin' truck headliner is too low!!! I can't even wear a baseball cap in it without embedding the beanie into my skull.

OP
OP
RyanDavidPonter
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good to know. But can you now tilt your head back to drink a bottle of water? That was the biggest reason I moved my rear headrest to the driver's seat. Plus, the back of the brim of my cowboy hats was hitting the top of it. That wasn't as much of a problem because I hardly wear my hat in the truck since the freakin' truck headliner is too low!!! I can't even wear a baseball cap in it without embedding the beanie into my skull.

Haha, I agree with the headliner being too low, the seat almost touches the top of it!

It doesn’t really bother me, I also wear baseball caps but only by the front, not like Brett Michaels style!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
UPDATE: The head restraint came in today, came very safely packaged, came out of a 2020 Ram 2500 Limited.

Took out the old original 4th Gen head restraint and put in the new 5th Gen 2500 head restraint, it fitted PERFECTLY, works great, and so much more comfortable.

They changed up the foam or something inside the new trucks because it’s so much more softer and feels like an actual pillow, anyways I ABSOLUTELY love it, I just ordered a second one so I will give you guys an update.

What did we learn today, 5th Gen HD head restraints indeed fit in a 4th Gen Ram Pickup!

Any differance in the shoulder checking abilities between the 2.

OP
OP
RyanDavidPonter
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The head restraint came in today, came very safely packaged, came out of a 2020 Ram 2500 Limited.

So I ordered a second head restraint and they gave me the wrong one, so hopefully in 3-4 days I will have the right one!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Benefits of being short, I've never had any issues with the headrests in these trucks lol
I actually use the headrest as a driver assist to keep me uncomfortable enough to be alert on longer drives...what used to be a headrest is now a passive restraint device that in many Stellantis brands appears to have comfort on the low end of the design priorities.

OP
OP
RyanDavidPonter
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually use the headrest as a driver assist to keep me uncomfortable enough to be alert on longer drives...what used to be a headrest is now a passive restraint device that in many Stellantis brands appears to have comfort on the low end of the design priorities.

The ones that scare the **** out of me is the active head restraints on the Caravan, Journey, Grand Cherokee, and more.

Attachments

• IMG_2669.jpeg
    IMG_2669.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
RyanDavidPonter
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Finally, it’s finished! Thank you to all the people who came along on this thread, I absolutely LOVE these new head restraints, looks so freaking good!!

Attachments

• IMG_2180.jpeg
    IMG_2180.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2175.jpeg
    IMG_2175.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2179.jpeg
    IMG_2179.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2176.jpeg
    IMG_2176.jpeg