3.92’s or 3.21’s for 2018 Ram 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

911ems

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 3.21 and tow a 32’ TT that weighs 7700 gross. Yes the truck performs well, and yes I’m comfortable with it. But if I could I would have gotten the 3.92. Having a truck built the correct way for what it’s doing is always the best option. And in my opinion a truck is built to haul and pull... so it should come stock with 3.92. But now there’s a huge push for the weekend warriors to trade in their Prius since gas is cheap and they wanna have a truck but feel cozy about the mpg. 1500 should have 3.92, 2500 should have 4.10. Why limit the truck from being a better truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
1500 should have 3.92, 2500 should have 4.56 or 4.88. Why limit the truck from being a better truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixed that for ya lol.

But it is because people want better MPGs. That is the only reason for putting a higher gear in a truck. Even though i am all for having a low geared truck, i do understand why some people wouldnt want it. I will say though, IMO hitting almost 20MPG highway in a 6,000 pound truck shaped like a brick with 3.92s is amazing. Even Hellcats will easily pull over 20MPG on highway trips.

AzCats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CC Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3.92 is the better option for towing. Also you won't feel rear end envy down the road. :)

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are on here looking at the forums prior to purchase then get 3.92's. I didn't so I didn't even pay attention to gears when I bought and have 3.21's. They are perfectly fine, plenty of power, and would smoke my old Silverado.

Most of the 3.21 haters are 3.92 guys who have never driven a 3.21 and just think they are so superior without experience. But if you have choice from the start with knowledge get the 3.92.

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
3.92's without a doubt. Awesome combo, my sport does great mileage wise with them as well.

dirter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2009 had 3.92. My 17 has 3.21. It was used with under 1K miles and I couldn't pass up the $17K discount but the 3.21s and the gear buttons on the steering wheel are the only things I don't like. I drive curves and hills so the trans is always busy. I wish it didn't cost so dang much to trade out the gears or I'd do it in a heartbeat. Maybe if I can at least get some paddle shifters installed the trips will be fun again.
For what it's worth, I'm getting about a half MPG better with the new one. I can save way more than that by filling up on discount Tuesday and running 3.92s.

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where within this page am I to go? This is all that comes up.
0bc8ba94016264945ca5198532dcb18b.jpg

Click on "Equipment list" in the left-hand column
Type in "VIN" where it says "VIN"
Click "Search"
Build sheet will list all options from the factory

Last edited:
OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Click on "Equipment list" in the left-hand column
Type in "VIN" where it says "VIN"
Click "Search"
Build sheet will list all options from the factory

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well after punching in the vin number of my own truck and the one I test-drove, mine has the 3.92 gear ratio and the one I drove at the dealer has the 3.21’s.

Maybe it’ll be alright and continue on with the same gears in my new truck...[emoji41]

henryhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well after punching in the vin number of my own truck and the one I test-drove, mine has the 3.92 gear ratio and the one I drove at the dealer has the 3.21’s.

Maybe it’ll be alright and continue on with the same gears in my new truck...[emoji41]

Lucky you. Having had both, I'm happier with the 3.92s. I think mpg was a little better with 3.21s, tire size being equal, but if I were to upsize tires to say a 34"-35", mpg would go up and I wouldn't have the power loss like the 3.21s would. It also tows heavy loads with less strain on the engine(3.92s).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lucky you. Having had both, I'm happier with the 3.92s. I think mpg was a little better with 3.21s, tire size being equal, but if I were to upsize tires to say a 34"-35", mpg would go up and I wouldn't have the power loss like the 3.21s would. It also tows heavy loads with less strain on the engine(3.92s).

The 3.92’s is what’s in my 2008 Ram. Guess that makes sense now why at 75, 76 miles an hour I’m turning little over 2100 RPM’s.

henryhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I meant mpg would go up due to the gearing offset due to the larger tires with 3.92s. Basically switching the factory 33" to taller 34" tall tires with 3.92s would nearly be the equivalent of 33" tires with 3.21 gear(power/acceleration), tire weights being equal. In all reality mpg will likely go down due to the increased tire weight and rolling resistance of the taller/larger tire

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My 2009 had 3.92. My 17 has 3.21. It was used with under 1K miles and I couldn't pass up the $17K discount but the 3.21s and the gear buttons on the steering wheel are the only things I don't like. I drive curves and hills so the trans is always busy. I wish it didn't cost so dang much to trade out the gears or I'd do it in a heartbeat. Maybe if I can at least get some paddle shifters installed the trips will be fun again.
For what it's worth, I'm getting about a half MPG better with the new one. I can save way more than that by filling up on discount Tuesday and running 3.92s.

If you want paddle shifters ,it can be done,i have them in my truck.There's a young guy in Edmonton Alberta who makes a basically plug-n-play kit for the trucks that uses the Mercedes AMG paddles.You can't swap a SRT wheel with paddle shifters onto the trucks,it's been tried,and it apparently doesn't work.

http://www.ramforum.com/f42/srt_steering_wheel_swap-83820/index2.html

Last edited:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pay cash for the truck, and forget all about that possible 1 mpg that you may, or may not lose. 3.92s!

dirter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you want paddle shifters ,it can be done,i have them in my truck.There's a young guy in Edmonton Alberta who makes a basically plug-n-play kit for the trucks that uses the Mercedes AMG paddles.You can't swap a SRT wheel with paddle shifters onto the trucks,it's been tried,and it apparently doesn't work.

http://www.ramforum.com/f42/srt_steering_wheel_swap-83820/index2.html

I would very much like to get in touch with him. I was hoping to get your attention over in that SRT wheel thread. Never figured I'd actually catch you with my little nugget over here. I also don't want to do any hijacking here so I'll see if I can figure out the IM system. I actually signed up here specifically for the purpose of getting you to get to him, as my very first post would indicate. I do have some things to contribute though and can't wait to get started. I'll begin with my story about Superchips and apparently one of their first RAM PCM swaps. That is once it concludes.

Anyway back to gears. Next time I have some time to blow I'll have to see if I can find out anything on here about changing them out. I really really don't like the 3.21s. Thanks all. Seems like this is going to be a nice board to be a part of. :happy107:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I would very much like to get in touch with him. I was hoping to get your attention over in that SRT wheel thread. Never figured I'd actually catch you with my little nugget over here. I also don't want to do any hijacking here so I'll see if I can figure out the IM system. I actually signed up here specifically for the purpose of getting you to get to him, as my very first post would indicate. I do have some things to contribute though and can't wait to get started. I'll begin with my story about Superchips and apparently one of their first RAM PCM swaps. That is once it concludes.

Anyway back to gears. Next time I have some time to blow I'll have to see if I can find out anything on here about changing them out. I really really don't like the 3.21s. Thanks all. Seems like this is going to be a nice board to be a part of. :happy107:

Dirter sent you a private message.
Rick