Are all catch cans the same

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seen a broad spectrum of prices on catch cans across different websites. Are they all the same. Pretty simple piece of equipment it seems like really. just a big oil/air separator really. so does it matter if you get an offbrand name for a catch can and save yourself a few bucks to throw it at something that is name brand that may matter more?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Some perform better than others, but all will do the job as advertised. If you never lift your hood then getting an air/oil separator from Home Depot for $25 or a Moroso can will work for you. Some of us care as much about the form as the function. I want to pop my hood and see a nice billet piece that ties in all the rest of my engine bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
They all sort do the same thing.

I run a home made one with a old catch can I had from my GTP. Works fine.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'll appreciate one with enough capacity to catch/hold a significant amount of oil. (The air-compressor filters have some pretty small reservoirs, and depending on what ya end up with, there may be some restriction placed upon the flow rate of your PCV system,,, not really a 'good' thing)

A decent Ccan will have, at a minimum, some stainless-steel 'wool' somewhere inside to allow the oil/vapors to attach/condense/drip down. (Some Flea-bay cans are nothing but a hollow can with an 'in' and 'out' port)

Some have RAM-Specific mount's,,, Others don't.

Some have a valve on the bottom of the can you can open to drain out the oil. Others may require the 'cup' to be unscrewed from the 'head' (or some other form of easy disassembly) to empty.

Last edited:

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Ha! I still don't know if you bastages are serious or not when you talk about a catch can. You guys here seem to be somewhat serious about them while other threads seem to mock them relentlessly.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ha! I still don't know if you bastages are serious or not when you talk about a catch can. You guys here seem to be somewhat serious about them while other threads seem to mock them relentlessly.

I'm serious about them. I've seen what they trap and keep from entering your intake.

This is what accumulated in my SRT after only 500 miles:

PCVCan300Miles6Runs.jpg

I routinely empty my catch can at every oil change and it is normally 1/2 full.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty sure the ones that have 'em are ~serious~,,, Pretty sure the ones that mock 'em don't have one,,.

Perhaps there has been someone down the road somewhere who had one and then decided 'it wasn't for them', but I'm unable to remember such a case,,,

Plenty of info available on Ccans and oil separator's for all different kinds of engines out there,,, Kill some time, read up on 'em, and make your own decision.

Last edited:

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Would my stock 6.4 have them or are they typically an after market add on?

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most are aftermarket, but some European cars come with them from the factory.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered mine last night from Moe's. I did tons of reading and I would rather spend $130 on my $42000 truck then risk something happening that I could have assisted in preventing.
I called Moe's and spoke with them about what should be my first buy. They didn't try and sell me a CAI or anything else because it is not practical for a 2015 since there are no tunes for the truck yet.
Honest and friendly equals a new customer...

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Oil catch cans work. Put mine on my brand new truck at 250 miles and by 3400 miles I emptied jt 4 times, full 2 of those times. I run a diablo and it's basically a billet tech with a diablo logo engraved on the top. Works like a charm and looks good. I run one on my money pit street rod, a clean engine is a happy One.