Block heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well it's gettn closer to the Alaska move, Does my 2012 hemi express have a block heater? I looked we're the owners manual said it would be but couldn't find anything. Has any one here installed one. And should I get a factory one. Or after market

Ram bo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that ting gots a hemi!
when I was up in Minot, most people had a shop do thier install, as freeze plugs just sucked to get at. a little more $ < hedache

don't forget the caardboardnin front of the radiator, but then I also had people from Alaska complain that ND was too cold

OP
OP
badfish888

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
what is it actualy heating, the oil or the coolant?

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I spec'd my '98 F150 out with one when I ordered it and it sits inline with the bottom radiator hose and worked GREAT!

I'd put a battery heater pad in there too! I also ran 0W30 oil in my truck during the winter months. The first number is the cold viscosity. ;)

Gardenfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you have one, the cord will be near passenger headlight in engine compartment. Stick with 5w20 synthetic year round. Warranty requires it and it is fine. I run it no problems in northern bc. Only plugged the ram in a few times as well.

Sent from my galaxy s3

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the newer Hemis you do NOT need to drain the coolant to install a block heater. There is a blank cavity on the back driver side of the block you insert the heater coil into. Very simple install (assuming you don't have to remove the driver side Y pipe to get the coil inserted like the instructions say, I had enough room).

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I live in Grand Forks ND and never have had to plug my truck in even the few nights its been down to -20F. Just a thought if you are on the fence about it.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont think it is a 'need to' type of thing with gas engines. It is more of a 'I want heat faster' thing.

ArcticRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For what it's worth, I live in Alaska, and I would say it's a MUST have up here. If/when you move here, there are shops all over the place that do this job for you. Additionally, you'll probably want an oil pan heater and battery blanket. They are all easy installs.

OP
OP
badfish888

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks..... I'll prob just get the molar one from my sisters dealer.
Should I think about a cold weather battery. The factory one lasted 6 years in my only 3rd gen

ArcticRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You won't need a special battery. The battery is just like the rest of your truck, if you take care of it (battery pad or blanket), it will take care of you.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could also look at an on-board charging system. I put a marine on-board unit with two banks in my truck (dual batteries). Works great. Keeps the batteries at peak charge and also has conditioning cycles to keep the battery healthy. I just tied the charger into the same circuit as the block heater so both turn on when I plug in.

Corbin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the newer Hemis you do NOT need to drain the coolant to install a block heater. There is a blank cavity on the back driver side of the block you insert the heater coil into. Very simple install (assuming you don't have to remove the driver side Y pipe to get the coil inserted like the instructions say, I had enough room).

just to add to this... you might want/have to remove the starter for some room to work, 2 bolts, piece of cake.

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
It's been -35 here before the wind, and the truck started without being plugged in. Didn't really like it, but it did go just fine

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Its a dry fit and like another fellow said if you have one from factory the cord will be tie wrapped most likely on the drivers side, on my new Jeep North Edition it was out of site but found it after a hard look. Not much help too but on the third gens its behind the starter and motor mount and a PIA to get at, I paid 55$ just for a new cord. If going to Alaska consider a Battery Blanket and Magnetic Oil pan Heater.

G_Altima

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One of my friends said he was checking out the new 2013 Rams and they have a louver system behind the grill that opens and closes depending on the temperature outside. This would be really sweet during those below zero days around here.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
May I revive an old thread! I found out today a block heater would have been nice. Normally I have been able to start the Ram even to -30F today it was -22F and could not start it. I think my battery is also a little weak. We have a high of 0 tomorrow so I can hopefully get her rolling then I am going to add a block heater. I have done them before I think I can do it again but may pay labor to avoid the cold.