Bump Ride Under 5 mph.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TurtleboyTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6-Liter V6
Truck is very bumpy at speeds under 5 mph. I usually feel this when I release the breaks from a stop before pressing the accelerator.

My tires have less than 15,000 miles on them. I balanced them and it felt fine for maybe 2 days. They're Michelins and the place that did the balance said they are in good shape.

Any idea on what could be the cause here?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Tuned in I think I know what you mean but don't have the answers.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What air pressure are you running?

OP
OP
T

TurtleboyTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6-Liter V6
Took it in to the dealer. They want to replace all 4 shocks at $1,366 and install new tires. They said the tires are chopped and the shocks are worn. I've replaced shocks before. I can't for the life of me understand why it would be that expensive. What a pain.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By your description it does sound like the tires are cupped. It is caused by bad shocks. Run your hand over the tread you should be able to feel it if you can't see it. If they were not rotated when you had them balanced you could try that. A wheel alignment wouldn't hurt either but if the shocks are gone I would replace them asap or they will continue to chew up your tires.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I suspect a non dealer shop would be cheaper.

Maybe, but certainly you can get better quality shocks at another shop. Maybe get bils and your choice tire instead of factory garbage. Actually, that quote is less then you usually see for a 34 tire and 4 shocks from a dealer, but yeah I would go to les shuab and get exactly what I want. If you get a level don't forget control arm upgrade.

I see 3.6, is it a 2wd?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TurtleboyTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6-Liter V6
So I haggled the dealer down $400 and asked for a loaner. Clearly the factory shocks are garbage (worn at 53,000 mi), but I'm just too busy to do them myself at the moment and I also heard those rear shocks can be a pain to remove.

OP
OP
T

TurtleboyTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6-Liter V6
Maybe, but certainly you can get better quality shocks at another shop. Maybe get bils and your choice tire instead of factory garbage. Actually, that quote is less then you usually see for a 34 tire and 4 shocks from a dealer, but yeah I would go to les shuab and get exactly what I want. If you get a level don't forget control arm upgrade.

I see 3.6, is it a 2wd?

Yeah, it's 2WD.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:signs1:So wait... your gonna spend 400 on shocks from the dealer and then new tires from the dealer as well??

OP
OP
T

TurtleboyTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6-Liter V6
:signs1:So wait... your gonna spend 400 on shocks from the dealer and then new tires from the dealer as well??

I wish. No. They're charging me ~$1000 to do the shocks. They were charging ~$1400 I know it's a ripoff. Shocks are easy, I just don't have the time and this is driving me crazy. I'm going to go back to crappy Pep Boys and try to get something out of the tire warranty.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If they are charging $1000.00 to do 4 shocks I would take it any where else or take a day off work to do it. That's crazy. Once again, thank goodness for my lift and my heat wrench! I can get anything off eventually.:evil27:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
One thing to note is the front struts will almost always seize onto the bushings. And the nut on top of the shocks seizes on as well. I ended up torching off all both parts to do the front. I lived in MN from 2012-2017 and the rust was insane. So what I am saying is they are huge pain in the ass up front.

OP
OP
T

TurtleboyTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6-Liter V6
One thing to note is the front struts will almost always seize onto the bushings. And the nut on top of the shocks seizes on as well. I ended up torching off all both parts to do the front. I lived in MN from 2012-2017 and the rust was insane. So what I am saying is they are huge pain in the ass up front.

Good to know. I had also heard that the bolt by the fuel tank is difficult to remove.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Good to know. I had also heard that the bolt by the fuel tank is difficult to remove.

It is pretty tight you need a stubby or as I did cut a wrench in half so it fits on the nut.

OP
OP
T

TurtleboyTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6-Liter V6
So here's the latest. New shocks. Still bounces, but noticibly smoother ride. I and going to need new tires no doubt.

Here are some pictures of the tires. 13,000 miles!
http://imgur.com/a/7h3Co

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Michelin is probably one of the best and longest lasting tires made but those really do look worn down for the miles you have on them.

What are you calling bounce? It should not bounce after new shocks but you will still have vibration if the tires are cupped or out of balance.

OP
OP
T

TurtleboyTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6-Liter V6
Michelin is probably one of the best and longest lasting tires made but those really do look worn down for the miles you have on them.

What are you calling bounce? It should not bounce after new shocks but you will still have vibration if the tires are cupped or out of balance.

The bounce is at the slow speeds. It feels like a less exaggerated version on going up a roller coaster.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best and longest lasting uh... let's just go with " you think they are a great tire and have had good experience with them"