Changing Spark Plugs - Funny but is it true?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
5.7 and 6.4 both plugs on every cylinder are on the top. Not hard at all, just a little tight under the brake booster. This looks like a 4.7 only problem unless the V6 is like this :roflsquared:

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
HAHA!! That is classic.

I remember when the Hemi came out and had to do the plugs and all the parts stores sold you 8.. I need another 8... huh, two trucks?? haha

After you do it about 2 times, you're a pro. The Hemi I did them on, 06 and 07, I didn't need a thin wall that I recalled.

I did tear a boot on my 2007.. I was able to get two new from Autozon for $9.00!

Everytime I did it after that, I used grease on the outside of the boot.

Royals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Get you a thick blanket so you can lay on your belly and a nice assortment of extensions one that swivels is key. You'll bust a few knuckles but it's not too bad.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The best way I've found do to it is with a sparkplug socket, 4" extension, then add a palm grip tool and then a ratchet.

You use the ratchet to break the plug loose, remove it and then remove the spark plug the rest of the way with the palm tool.

The Hemi back plugs are done by dropping the socket into the plug area, followed by the extension and palm tool... break with the ratchet, and use the hand tool the rest of the way.

Lifted 4x4s, I've found it's easier to remove the fender liner believe it or not. You just reach right up.. instead of laying down.

I've done it both ways.. each way it does kinda of suck.

But like I said, 2 or 3 times - and you're a pro.. under 45 mins

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
This is the contraption I use for Hemi plugs. The shoe string is to retrieve the socket after it's tight. Really only necessary once the new plug is in. The spark plug socket is a swivel socket, it's not a swivel and a socket. Having the second swivel allows me to get it in the holes under the brake booster without taking it apart every time.

Attachments

• IMG_20140903_190338.jpg
    IMG_20140903_190338.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 126

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stuff a 440 into an A body... I can't get a socket and ratchet on 1 plug, I have to use a wrench and spark plug socket.

ab62c4aaa53524bfd1c6c8fdedd743b4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Drittal, i had a 71 demon with a tunnel rammed 440! I had fenderwell headers though.. and the inner fenders were trimmed way back also, which made it extremely simple to swap plugs.

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Drittal, i had a 71 demon with a tunnel rammed 440! I had fenderwell headers though.. and the inner fenders were trimmed way back also, which made it extremely simple to swap plugs.

I've thought about putting a hole in the fenderwell, but with everything already painted and done, I'll just do it the hard way. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
I only did it that way because it was a cruise night/friday night street racer lol. No stereo, no back seat, wheel tubs, 16 point cage. 12.5-1 compression 68' vintage 440 with hp heads. Fully built 727 tourqueflight trans with coan 5500 stall converter..and a Dana 60 with a 4.56 spooled set of cogs!!

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
By far the worst engine I've ever changed the spark plugs and wires on is the the 3.0 V6 in my '00 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. The whole intake, entire vacuum system and entire engine wiring harness has to come off. I went slow and made sure everything was marked well but it took 4 hrs to get to the plugs and 4.5 hrs to change them and put it back together. That was miserable.

jled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did mine today appreciate the tip per putting in the socket, extension etc piece by piece... this was a very time consuming job, but satisfied todo despite the scarred hands and sore old body from bending through tight spaces.

jled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
good advice

Get you a thick blanket so you can lay on your belly and a nice assortment of extensions one that swivels is key. You'll bust a few knuckles but it's not too bad.

appreciate your tips / I definitely folded up some towels to cover sharp edges and had to put in assortment of extensions one piece at a time...