5.7 Changing Plugs & Coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM0359

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, always changed my own plugs but with the 2012 5.7 you have the backside plugs that are hidden behind hoses and such and in videos I've watched the mechanics make it look like they aren't to bad to get to.

Anyone who has changed these themselves please tell me how hard it is to get to the backside plugs and coil packs to change?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi, always changed my own plugs but with the 2012 5.7 you have the backside plugs that are hidden behind hoses and such and in videos I've watched the mechanics make it look like they aren't to bad to get to.

Anyone who has changed these themselves please tell me how hard it is to get to the backside plugs and coil packs to change?
Pick up one of these ,and they aren't to bad to get at.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've not done it in the truck, but I have done it in my old Jeep Grand...much less room in there. It's not that bad, just takes time with so many.

If you don't have a spark plug specific socket, get one. Perhaps that swivel one above is the cats a55, I use my regular old Craftsman one with the rubber inside.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've not done it in the truck, but I have done it in my old Jeep Grand...much less room in there. It's not that bad, just takes time with so many.

If you don't have a spark plug specific socket, get one. Perhaps that swivel one above is the cats a55, I use my regular old Craftsman one with the rubber inside.
I've got probably a dozen differant plug sockets i've gathered up over the years,and honestly i kick my rear for not buying the Gear Wrench version years ago Jesse. It's the best plug socket i've stumbled into , it and a short little 1" or 1.5" extension makes pulling the plugs on a Hemi alot easier.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I've got probably a dozen differant plug sockets i've gathered up over the years,and honestly i kick my rear for not buying the Gear Wrench version years ago Jesse. It's the best plug socket i've stumbled into , it and a short little 1" or 1.5" extension makes pulling the plugs on a Hemi alot easier.

Listen to @Wild one, that tool is worth its weight in gold for these Hemi's.

I used a topside creeper also, leaning over the engine with a short stepstool was very uncomfortable for me. The creeper was easier, but I did have a sore abdomen from laying my fat ass on it.....lol

Seriously, the job isn't bad, but it does take some time, maybe 2 hrs. Mine took 3 ish, I am slow, and I had to get up and down a few times.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I used a topside creeper also, leaning over the engine with a short stepstool was very uncomfortable for me. The creeper was easier, but I did have a sore abdomen from laying my fat ass on it.....lol

Seriously, the job isn't bad, but it does take some time, maybe 2 hrs. Mine took 3 ish, I am slow, and I had to get up and down a few times.
What creeper do you use? Do you have a link to it?

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What creeper do you use? Do you have a link to it?
At this moment, no, but I believe it was from Northern Tool.

There's a slim chance it could have been one from Horrible Freight, but I don't think so....lol

When I get home this evening, I will run over there and see if I can take a picture of it.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

This ^
For me the leaning over the engine bay was the most difficult part that killed my back. Other than that IMO the only hard plugs to get at are the very back on the drivers side due to the brake booster.

Daniel from Texas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Listen, if you don't mind the little extra time, pull the wheel tub off. It is simple and then you can sit on a small roller seat and do all the plugs and coil packs without killing yourself. I've just completed mine and it saves so much time.

gfviperman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did it on my 2011 ... it is a pain ... GET THE TOOL!!! No other way.
Will have to move some wiring but it goes back easily.
I will pay to have it done next time ...

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did mine couple weeks ago..not hard or bad and im not doing it again..put the irridium things in this time.....passenger side I was able to use a little step ladder and did that whole side by myself up and down numerous times...the drivers side I threw down an old comforter blanket and laid on the rad.across the engine and didn't move...had the wife take away and hand the plugs back.kinda have to stack and remove sum extensions for the back ones..was literally 30min.for that side(shoulda got her for the pass.side...lol)...yes, the abdomen was sore afterwards(fat ass also)and I have an older or diff.gear wrench mag.socket as well(no swivel or extension)...as stated..worth the weight in gold..little under 2 hrs I'd guesstimate for me...dont remember but I did ask here if that was a decent time .I can't imagine how you guys do it with lifts on your vehicles.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
@indept,

Please forgive me, I totally forgot about the topside creeper.

No brand I can see, fwiw.

20230906_182822.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca