Check engine light on (again)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drooler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Midway through a roadtrip my check engine light came on. This happened once before requiring a "reset" by the dealer (no explanation given).
After reaching our destination the truck sat for 2 nights. The following day I started it and the light popped on. Also, the remote start will only work for about 5 or so seconds before shutting off. I'm also getting an occasional "key fob has left the vehicle" message.

Any thoughts?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When my
Truck through the "Evan code" like loose gas cap-
I couldn't use my remote start. That may be why u can't use remote start.

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take it to your local O'reilly's and have them scan it.

P0442 and p0456 are the "gas cap" codes. Any other code could be a developing problem.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buy one of these for 20 bucks and take the power away from the dealer!

Dang handy to have too...

If you are going to spend money on one of these, get one that can read/reset ABS and Airbag codes too. These entry model ODB readers won't do that. You'll thank me later.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh, remote start is typically disabled if there is any check engine codes set, doors/hood open, low fuel. Sometimes it will start and run for a few seconds.

Get the code read, the dealer may have just reset the fault code.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you can buy a obd2 scanner for about 20 bucks, 10 if you get one on ebay. it will tell you the code and you can decide if its easy enough for you to fix.

Also with a check engine light the vehicle should not start. Its programmed that way.