Diablo tune+ towing = horrible mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Millertime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2011 ram 1500 quad, and just put a Diablo 87 tune in for towing my sled trailer out West and I'm getting a solid 2mpg worse with it? Is that normal? Trailer sleds and gear cant be more than 4k lbs, and with a 20 mph head wind I was getting 7mpg!?! Went back to stock and instantly up to 9mpg, still not good but ya...

So what you guys think?

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Hmmm... Did you have more uphill with the tune? Did the headwind die down? Bad gas before a refill?

OP
OP
Millertime

Millertime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hmmm... Did you have more uphill with the tune? Did the headwind die down? Bad gas before a refill?

Two tanks in a row it was way low? Still not good at 9 though. Truck only has 16k mi on it so I wouldn't think its an exhaust issue? My volant intake filter maybe has 10k on it so that should have plenty of life left? Ibe got nothing lol.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DAAAA-YUM!
Subscribing to this as I'm on the fence about a tuner, and we bought the truck to tow.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I have seen that kind of drop in a stock truck. Although towing my travel trailer I am in the ~12mpg range and it is 2x the weight you are towing. Hum...

Try the 93 tune.

OP
OP
Millertime

Millertime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thats just it, its a low trailer only a foot or so taller than truck. Idk?

My old man has an identical setup and truck and with the 91 tune it wasn't shifting worth a crap? I can try it though?

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
are you using tow/haul mod also? If you aren't you could be slipping the trans and could be causing loss in mpg.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could using 87oct be part of the problem?
I asked Sean (Hemifever) about towing and he said his 89 tune would work fine for towing; if 87 is acceptable but 89 is suggested for daily driving, imagine what could be going on inside your engine when it's working hard while towing?
Just offering some thoughts on what it could be.

brandon.colt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The manual says the engine is designed to operate on 89 octane. Can't imagine why you'd get worse milage running 87.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Fill that sucker up with 93 or 94 and use the 93 tune. Forget about the 87 tune, its not worth your time!

To the guy that cant imagine why:
Imagine octane rating as how hard it is to ignite the gas. Higher the number harder it is. Now to attain the highest efficiency the motor must be working to its maximum capacity. If it is running on 87 (or 89 compared to 93 or 94) the air fuel mixture is igniting before the piston is fully at the top of the cylinder. This causes a knock because the piston is still coming up but the flamefront is moving down. The computer sees this and pulls timing accordingly.

Now you can imagine this happening while you are rolling down the road, now put a trailer behind you and demand more from your motor, i dunno about you but i know what kind of gas id run if i had a tuner (or a trailer)
Hell i dont even have a tuner and i run 91! Quality over quantity for me!