Ebay Header thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmurphss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I recently had to replace a broken exhaust manifold stud that snapped off in the head as many of us have had to do. When I was in there I had to removed the entire manifold anyway and thought I should just go ahead and upgrade to some headers, so I started looking. My thought is that If I have to remove the manifolds to change the studs out anyway so don't have to extract another one since it was quite nerve racking, I may as well upgrade.

I remember a while back reading about certain header brands had fitment issues with 4x4 trucks, but I cant find and cant remember which they were.

I found these on ebay that look like an awesome deal, says they are 304 SS and they are ceramic coated.

Shorty Exhaust Headers SILVER CERAMIC COATED for 09-14 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi V8

I'm not looking to build a hot-rod here as I drive a lifted 4 wheel drive truck, just looking for a little different sound and possible couple HP increase, so this is why I have decided shorties are ok for me. That plus not wanting to spend 1600 bucks or so. I also have lifetime powertrain warranty so I don't want to mess with tuning the truck like I think I would have to if I went longtubes and high flow cats. I would also change out the restrictive crushed y-pipe at the same time with these shorties.

My questions are...

1. does anyone think there would be a fitment issue with these headers, and/or anyone have any experience with them?

2. Would I need to tune the truck for just shorties and y-pipe? I also currently just have a drop in filter and flowmaster muffler that I will be changing to a magnaflow knock-off some time I do the y-pipe.

3. The heads have more of a d-shaped port and these headers are fully round, does that really make a difference?

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd personally rather stick to stock than roll the dice on eBay... These aren't lights... Your inviting frustration w/ fitment issues and quality. Plus, research and design go into quality parts, at a price like this, I'd bet they just crappily welded some pipes together and spray painted them. You may lose performance if not properly designed.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There ya go... Spend $100 more on BBK and have some peace of mind

OP
OP
T

tmurphss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
BBK weren't the ones that had fitment issues on 4x4 trucks were they?

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BBK weren't the ones that had fitment issues on 4x4 trucks were they?

Don't quote me on this but if I'm not mistaking that was the JBA's early on. I think that has since been corrected though.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't quote me on this but if I'm not mistaking that was the JBA's early on. I think that has since been corrected though.

BBK's are known for 4wd issues, some guys are fine but a lot run into issues.

Reactions: CTD

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The bigger JBA 1 7/8" long tubes don't fit a 4X4 very well,apparently the newer smaller 1 3/4" JBA long tubes fit good though.

Reactions: CTD
OP
OP
T

tmurphss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
BBK's are known for 4wd issues, some guys are fine but a lot run into issues.
Do you happen to remember what the issues were? Just fitment issues that there is nothing you can do to fix it, or was it something that can be made to fir with a little work? Also, the issue isn't something that would be made ok since I have a body lift right?

Realistically what would I see from changing the y-pipe and going to shorty headers? 10-15 HP, or not even that? Would the exhaust sound much different?

I forgot that the section of the downpipes before the y that runs under the transmission pan, would it be beneficial to cut that out and replace it with actual round tube as well?

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Realistically what would I see from changing the y-pipe and going to shorty headers? 10-15 HP, or not even that? ?

It is doubtful you would receive any real HP gain from what I have read on the topic, but obviously would get a different sound. I'm sure some members that have completed that mod will be along shortly.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is doubtful you would receive any real HP gain from what I have read on the topic, but obviously would get a different sound. I'm sure some members that have completed that mod will be along shortly.

I'd wager if you ran shorty's paired with a catless ypipe you'd see 15whp. Long tubes with a catless y pipe is going to jet the best gains with 25-30whp with a tune.

Do you happen to remember what the issues were? Just fitment issues that there is nothing you can do to fix it, or was it something that can be made to fir with a little work? Also, the issue isn't something that would be made ok since I have a body lift right?

Realistically what would I see from changing the y-pipe and going to shorty headers? 10-15 HP, or not even that? Would the exhaust sound much different?

I forgot that the section of the downpipes before the y that runs under the transmission pan, would it be beneficial to cut that out and replace it with actual round tube as well?

Think one of the primaries makes contact with either steering or suspension. There are some guys that can fit them tho.