Electric fan and remove fan clutch ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Exactly what hemi450 said. It is direct plug and play and you control when it comes on with a tuner like diablo. I have the Efan on my ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Moe is right, but that isn't what i wanted to do, i didn't want to end up with just a single fan solution. Is there not room in front of the rad to put a pusher fan and just keep the ac fan that came factory? I live in Tahoe, but i often go to Vegas and even Phoenix and traffic on the 15 can reach 115-120 during the day, and after sitting a bit, its well over 130 to touch the hood. I cannot even imagine under the hood and relying on a single fan is not what i wanted to go to. I wanted to go to electric to eliminate the warm up issues and maybe get some other gains. I will check out a dual fan solution- side by side and if it requires some wiring, so be it. I would rather have redundancy than not. I think the Durangos have 2 fans, i know they are loud as hell when both are running- anyone got a Durango?

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure there are other people on here in very warm places like yourself who run the e-fan and a 180 t stat without issues. Someone will chime in with more experience in a hot climate. I'm northeast so I don't have that issue.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Moe is right, but that isn't what i wanted to do, i didn't want to end up with just a single fan solution. Is there not room in front of the rad to put a pusher fan and just keep the ac fan that came factory? I live in Tahoe, but i often go to Vegas and even Phoenix and traffic on the 15 can reach 115-120 during the day, and after sitting a bit, its well over 130 to touch the hood. I cannot even imagine under the hood and relying on a single fan is not what i wanted to go to. I wanted to go to electric to eliminate the warm up issues and maybe get some other gains. I will check out a dual fan solution- side by side and if it requires some wiring, so be it. I would rather have redundancy than not. I think the Durangos have 2 fans, i know they are loud as hell when both are running- anyone got a Durango?

Look inside your grill,you have electric shutters that open and close that might be in the way of adding another electric fan set-up,unless you go with a thin fan set-up. They don't make it simple to add extra fans,lol. Curious to see what you come up with,keep us posted on your progress.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After a bit of reading on the subject, the V6 shroud will be more efficient than adding a second efan in front of the condenser/oil cooler.

The shroud will help pull more cool air thru the radiator. In my case I rarely see 100+ temp so I'm fine, but for those with extreme heat you need a shroud for your efan.

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am looking for a 2 fan solution guys... not just cutting back to one fan.
And if that means leaving as-is, well that would suck, but unless you have sat on the I-15 at 5PM across from the Bellagio and seen cars catch on fire or overheat or in Scottdale going to the gun club and it's an hour wait in traffic and your hood is 150 degrees, I am not relying on just 1 fan.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I am looking for a 2 fan solution guys... not just cutting back to one fan.
And if that means leaving as-is, well that would suck, but unless you have sat on the I-15 at 5PM across from the Bellagio and seen cars catch on fire or overheat or in Scottdale going to the gun club and it's an hour wait in traffic and your hood is 150 degrees, I am not relying on just 1 fan.

By the sounds of it you're worried about a single fan leaving you on the side of the road if it quits. The motors in the new fans are a lot more robust then they used to be,and there's a few manufacture's that use just a single electric fan these days ,prime example is the V-6,it only uses a single fan.I'm sure you could fab up a thin aftermarket pusher fan to go along with the V-6 fan conversion if you want more piece of mind. You might also want to look into doing something with your shutters to,some of us have removed the middle rows of shutter slats only leaving the top and bottom rows in place,and if you look around on here there's a thread on how to remove the shutter assembly completely and modify the shutter motor so it won't throw a code. On some trucks the shutter code can be shut off via a good custom tune,but it seems to be a hit and miss situation for that one.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By the sounds of it you're worried about a single fan leaving you on the side of the road if it quits. The motors in the new fans are a lot more robust then they used to be,and there's a few manufacture's that use just a single electric fan these days ,prime example is the V-6,it only uses a single fan.I'm sure you could fab up a thin aftermarket pusher fan to go along with the V-6 fan conversion if you want more piece of mind. You might also want to look into doing something with your shutters to,some of us have removed the middle rows of shutter slats only leaving the top and bottom rows in place,and if you look around on here there's a thread on how to remove the shutter assembly completely and modify the shutter motor so it won't throw a code. On some trucks the shutter code can be shut off via a good custom tune,but it seems to be a hit and miss situation for that one.

Every word exactly. I did the full shutter removal and modded the shutter motor. I went from 214 coolant temp 204 trans temp and 224 oil temps to this
5a5ea2894cb8805e20b70c2d3e0f2485.jpg
I was shocked from just the shutter removal. That’s after an hour of driving through town stop and go or the interstate. I’ll swap to a 180 stat whenever I get around to doing some mods

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good research guys, i like the idea of the black magic fan, so I went looking too, I found this....

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...jzdKvu3dRW8J5YdJfkuBcK6w3R8WYSHBoCfLwQAvD_BwE

I haven't measured, do we have the real-estate to install this monster with a fan controller, or maybe tie it into the existing wiring. this would be removing the existing AC fan as well going back to that plug and play Moe was talking about.

Crazykid, I get what you are saying, but the problem is that your test was done at 75 degrees outside. Add 40 degrees to that outside temp and you our highs in Phoenix and Vegas. I have to travel the highway from Tahoe to Phoenix at least once monthly every month of the year, summer maybe 2x. If you add 40 degrees to the outside temp, all those numbers go up- not the same amount, but there is some increment.

I like the idea of the shutter removal- we are getting very close on a solution! Like baking a cake right! Little bit of this, little bit of that, lol.

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
one more thought....

2015 DODGE DURANGO 5.7L V8 Radiator Fan Assembly | RockAuto

this is for the 5.7 Durango, keeps it all Dodge, we can get a fan controller and wire it up that way? if you think this is better than the Black Magic one, I can check the specs? I am only leaning on the one fan solution because i have heard this monster in a Durango... its loud as hell and it cools the Durangos. I will do the tech authority research if you guys think this is viable and get some wiring diagrams going.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good research guys, i like the idea of the black magic fan, so I went looking too, I found this....

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...jzdKvu3dRW8J5YdJfkuBcK6w3R8WYSHBoCfLwQAvD_BwE

I haven't measured, do we have the real-estate to install this monster with a fan controller, or maybe tie it into the existing wiring. this would be removing the existing AC fan as well going back to that plug and play Moe was talking about.

Crazykid, I get what you are saying, but the problem is that your test was done at 75 degrees outside. Add 40 degrees to that outside temp and you our highs in Phoenix and Vegas. I have to travel the highway from Tahoe to Phoenix at least once monthly every month of the year, summer maybe 2x. If you add 40 degrees to the outside temp, all those numbers go up- not the same amount, but there is some increment.

I like the idea of the shutter removal- we are getting very close on a solution! Like baking a cake right! Little bit of this, little bit of that, lol.

Even at 90 my temps were the same.

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you Crazykid, what part of the country you in? belive me, I know this works for you and I am sure lot of other folks, but thats still 25 degrees off what I live thru.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thank you Crazykid, what part of the country you in? belive me, I know this works for you and I am sure lot of other folks, but thats still 25 degrees off what I live thru.

I've ran my truck at 90+ mph in 3rd and 4th gear through the mountains racing at 95F and it never once went over 195F,and I was working the **** out of it at 4,000 to 6,000 rpm staying ahead of a WRX,at 4,000+ ft elevation. I only run the stock OEM electric fan,with-out the upgraded V-6 fan shroud. Your coolent temps will be easy to keep cool,it's your oil temps you should be more concerned with,as my oil temps did hit 220F that day. You seem hung up on coolent temp,when you should probably be more concerned with keeping your oil temps down slightly.Keeping the oil temps down,will make it easier to keep your coolent temps down at the same time. Have you looked into a remote oil filter that incorporates an oil cooler with it.I run a relocated oil filter with-out cooler,and even just doing that dropped my oil temps by roughly 5 degrees F.

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you Wild one- the high elevation is definitely part of the issues.

THe overall temperature of the oil to water is constant pretty much isnt it? My goal is to keep the truck cool overall, but I think I am going to go with a dual fan system like the Charger or that Flexlite one. I know you guys have tested 90-95 degrees pounding on the pedal, but its still not 115 -118 in stop and go traffic where there is no air flowing. That is what concerns me. I totally get the AC fan is more than enough for 9 months out of the year, but come July-Aug- September - I have to have some sort of redundancy. I have seen fan motors melt inside, fan blades fly off into the radiator, all kinds of nonsense when the temp gets that high. And that doesn't account for the heat coming off the road back at you. Coming home, its 105 degrees at 9PM at night from Phoenix. Until you have felt that, at 9PM at night, with 15-20 miles between exits, you will know why I am freaking out.

I thought this was an easy change, that's my fault. I thought the AC fan was a pusher fan on the outside pushing in. And then the clutch fan was on the inside. That's my fault, but this thread has explained a lot to me and I am glad as I would have been pissed if I started my tear down and saw an electric fan on the inside of the engine bay! I am going to do some research on the wiring of the charger dual fan solution as the price is affordable and I am hoping since its MOPAR it will speak the same language as my existing sensors, we will see.

jon0m0berry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
another thing you can do to help from over heating is a 180 degree t-stat. you'll get coolant everywere.....at least I did lol but in my opinion its probably one of the best things I've done to my truck. I removed my clutch fan and reprogrammed my efan to like 195 degrees or something like that. but the t-stat keeps it cool enough that the efan like almost never comes on.

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
agreed Jon, definitely part of the solution along with the shutters. maybe just removing the middle ones to guarantee airflow. Its crap like that which gives me angina- what is the default position should those shutter freak out of the shutter motor melts down, open or closed? one more single point of failure with blazing heat that freaks me out. This all started because of the warm up time I was trying to solve and maybe get some more mpgs, and HP, and now I freaked myself out into a whole different tangent. Go ahead and say it- just like a girl! I know!! sorry guys, just go back and look at the keg pic and smile :)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
agreed Jon, definitely part of the solution along with the shutters. maybe just removing the middle ones to guarantee airflow. Its crap like that which gives me angina- what is the default position should those shutter freak out of the shutter motor melts down, open or closed? one more single point of failure with blazing heat that freaks me out. This all started because of the warm up time I was trying to solve and maybe get some more mpgs, and HP, and now I freaked myself out into a whole different tangent. Go ahead and say it- just like a girl! I know!! sorry guys, just go back and look at the keg pic and smile :)

I think you're worrying a little to much .My wifes 2016 R/T Challenger uses one electric fan,no mechanical fan,and I don't ever recall hearing of anybody melting the fan or motor on one of them in the summer time in Arizona,and i'm guessing there's the odd Challenger running around Arizona still running everything stock including the 203 thermostat with no issues.Why don't you try the V-6 fan shroud with a 180 thermostat and see where you're at,if it's not enough,then start spending money.You'll need an unlocked PCM and tuner to reset the electric fans on/off temps though,as stock the e-fan doesn't kick on till around 212F

Last edited: